iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CurveBall, Jul 23, 2009.

1. CurveBall

CurveBall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi everybody,

I'm able to buy an iPhone here in the US with the NO Commitment option in the Best Buy. I've the option to choose between the iPhone 3G (16GB, $549) and the iPhone 3GS (16GB, 600$). I would go for the iPhone 3GS but I will need to jailbreak and unlock it in order to use it in my country (the Netherlands). There are actually some things that stop me from buying the 3GS:
    1. I know Apple build in a new security layer, the ECID, and that is one of the thinks that stops me from buying the 3GS. With the ECID signchecks, Apple is able to stop me from downgrading (and upgrading a jailbroken device?) my firmware version. I know that, if I capture the iBSS, iBEC and the unique certificate via purplera1n.com, I will be able to downgrade (and update?) my firmware version to 3.0 again. But capturing these things will only be possible when the phone is on firmware 3.0. That brings me at point 2.

2. I would buy the iPhone 3GS within the next 1,5 weeks. I know Apple is working on 3.1 (there were already 2 beta's for dev's), How big is the chance that there will be a newer version on the iPhone 3GS in the upcoming 1,5 weeks? Is it possible that the phones contain another firmware version that 3.0?

3. The iPhone 3GS has been out for about 1 month now, and the jailbreak and unlock tools are in there pretty early stage. Are there many issues with jailbreaking and unlocking the iPhone 3GS? I know there are 2 ways to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS, and I would go for the Dev-Team's tools, but how "sure" are the jailbreak and the unlock? Is it comparable with the assurance of the iPhone 3G unlock and jailbreak?

Those are the question that I'd like to know. I'm not really a noob in these things, I follow news daily and know pretty much about all the other devices, but the iPhone 3GS is pretty new to me.
    I hope someone can answer these questions. Could you also give me some explanation about how the ECID exactly works? (or tell me somewhere where I can read about it, I already read GeoHots blog and search at the iPhone wiki, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on that...)

Anyway, thank you very much in advance!

Vincent
  2. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    the 3GS will most likely come with 3.0 installed, not 3.1. And all the jailbreaking/Unlocking tools work fine on it. Some of the cydia apps still need upgrading to be compatible but the essential ones all work fine. If you can get the 3gs i would recommend it.

This thread has the most information on the ECID field that I've seen lately.
  3. Chad3GS

Chad3GS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would go for the 3GS. I just picked mine up on Monday and I am very pleased with it. I got it jailbroken fine without any problems.
  4. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Its like this
    If you can get the 3GS DO! If not then get the 3G, theres not a lot different but what is different is significant I would say. I have had both (currently have the 3GS and previously had the 3G)
    The Jailbreak works just fine its more dev's not updating there apps for 3.0 or a couple that dont work with the 3GS for whatever reason but that is QUITE rare I have found.. All the major apps work perfectly

Please Register or Log in to view images

The chances of 3.1.. Unlikely in my opinion.. Apple takes there time but even if 3.1 does come out I would still suggest you get the 3GS if you can because knowing the Dev Team or GeoHot they will have an updated method of Jailbreaking very soon after 3.1 is released. I would not worry about that
  5. CurveBall

CurveBall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok, thanks for the quick reply guys. Ill get me a 3GS next week

6. Yongobongo

Yongobongo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It will definitely not come with 3.1, as it is not publicly released yet. I wouldn't even worry about that until about a month after the software update is released.
    Once you get your ECID, there's no problem with downgrading etc.
    The jailbreak and unlock are exactly the same as their 3G counterparts (which are the same programs).

I've had mine for just over 2 weeks and I love it. It's so speedy compared to my 1G touch, and even the WiFi (on the same network) is about 10x faster (I was very surprised..).
    The oleophobic screen is amazing and so useful, too. And the camera is beautiful!
  7. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I know the 3GS is very nice!
    I havent gotten to try the oleophobic screen because I use a screen protector..
  8. viper3885

viper3885 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yea the oleophobic screen is one of the coolest features to me. After using the phone all day, there's barely any smudges on the screen.
  9. eff3ctz

eff3ctz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    3GS by far. It's power is just insane.
  10. Aramyth

Aramyth New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I love my 3GS. The oleophobic screen is amazing. It's fast. Video is fun to play with. And it comes in white.