iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS newest baseband

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beefstrudel, Oct 6, 2009.

1. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have at&t and have jailbroken 3.1 with pwnagetool on my 3GS, so i have no need to be on the older baseband. It really bothers me that the iPhone doesnt detect the network it is on, if i upgrade to official 3.1 and jailbreak with geohots tool when its out will it be able to detect the carrier it is on? Or is that even an issue with having the older baseband on the newer software?
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    redo your question and explain better your case

its kind of confusing

what you are saying is that having the unlockable baseband on fw 3.1 doesn't give you any signal?

if that the case

i would recomend you doing a dfu restore with your custom ipsw

i would also recomend you stopping by the dev team blog

if you dont have an account sign up here

and post your question there, they deal with this sort of stuff everyday, you could use their experience
  3. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Okay. After Jailbreaking 3.1 with Pwnagetool the baseband stays at 04.26.08 to preserve unlocks. I am on at&t so i have no reason to stay at 4.26.08. The "cosmetic" side effect from using Pwnagetool, where your phone doesnt display what carrier it is on, is that related to having the baseband not updated to 05.11.07 and 3.1 having trouble communicating with the baseband? Because if thats the problem I would rather update my baseband so I know what network my phone is using.
  4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I dont recall were i read this but the dev team said that it was just a bug of the 3.1 jailbreak that didnt affecct the beseband or sugnal whatsoever

why i dont remember though was, if this was a bug of the jailbreak itself or a result of keeping the old base band

are you sure because once you do that there is not going back, but if you only rely only on at&t, well it doesn't matter if you update the baseband. note that you will permanently loose all unlock possibilities in the future, until somebody finds an exploit on the new base band.
  5. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    well maybe i should keep it. i keep thinking, what if i want to sell it next year unlocked to get the new iphone? ill only be half way through my contract on this one so ill have to buy it expensive. that is if there is a new iphone next year, though its very likely

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. franky_402

franky_402 New Member

im sure within a year there will be a new baseband hole found
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Did you make the custom firmware?

I believe you need a firmware that does not activate the iPhone; there is also an option that asks about a legitimate iPhone plan - you want the firmware that is made for a legitimate iPhone plan.
  8. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    its activated fine i have 5 bars and edge just no AT&T logo and in about the network says "Not Available" Is that directly related to having the older baseband?
  9. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I hate to be such an idiot but I just realized I have the same problem (although not a problem for me). I had disregarded it because I was using MIM and had my carrier set as a space (blank). I know last time I restored from a backup the MIM plist got transfered over and I figured the same thing happened this time. After looking at it a bit more I can't get back to my original carrier name either.

I know it may not cure the problem my only recommendation is to use MIM (MakeItMine) available via Cydia.
  10. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I use MIM and put "ATT" because that makes it display the regular AT&T logo with the smaller letters. but sometimes my phone will roam on T-Mobile and I cant tell when it is. And that sucks because I hate T-Mobile their network fails....And the carrier selection screen doesnt work. =/