iPhone 3G without data plan?

Discussion in 'WWDC 2008 discussions' started by reluttr, Jun 15, 2008.

1. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As we all know you could remove the data plan part from the first iphones contract, but what I am wondering is if I can remove the dataplan from the new 3g... I know you may be thinking "whats the point of getting a 3g phone without the data?" well for one I only get edge service from at&t in my area and that itself is poor strength, and I have tons of wifi hotspots so I dont really have a need for edge.

Also since at&t now counts the iPhone as a Smart Phone I am wondering if it is possible to remove the data plan from the smart phones to... If so then there is a possibility us that don't even get 3G can save us 30$ a month.
  2. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you cannot remove the data plan, as far as we know, sorry, but remember nothing is official
  3. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thing is tho, as special as the iphone is by the sounds of it they will handle it about the same as other devices like it "Like the AT&T Tilt". So if you are able to remove the data plan from the Tilt then in theory you should be able to have a dataless phone.

Besides Im sure there is way to persuade at&t to remove it also, cause I imagine they would rather have a customer then to loose them before the 2 years of service.
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    As far as I know, the data plan is mandatory.

To persuade AT&T into making the data plan optional rather than mandatory, it would take more than one customer to do that.
  5. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

The contract is fixed, the price your would pay for iPhone 3g is less then the original not because they have some how managed to make the device for less money, but because the have changed the contract so that over the 18 months you are chained to the contract Apple get a kick back which pays for the remaining device cost and the carrier get the remainder. If you compare the available free talk time and texts from the original iPhone and 3g version you get alot less of both with the 3g, and when you go over the allowance you pay alot more.

The data transfer is part of the whole contract, you will not be able to barter it out, whether you use it or not will not matter to the contract, it is part and parcel of the package.
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, it's included in the plan, and even if you don't want to use it, you're still going to have it.
  7. KhmerB10

KhmerB10 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wish but I highly doubt it.