iPhone 3G, which parts use 3G?

Discussion in 'WWDC 2008 discussions' started by TheConqueror, Jul 7, 2008.

1. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

ok so basically my plan to get iphone 3G is to go and get one without a data plan from rogers (i live in canada), and pay 5c/KB for 3g, which is a HUGE rip-off, but i thought i would just turn off 3G and edge, and not use it. Then i thought which parts actually use 3G? well i couldnt imagine anything other then safari and mail. But what about GPS, if i turn that on does that count as 3G?
  2. touchfan092

touchfan092 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    im not totally sure, but i think that maps would definitely work better with 3G cuz it's faster. and some of the apps from the appstore may use it as well.
  3. Elric

Elric New Member

I doubt the GPS uses any "data" on the network, all my previous GPS phones were separate from the "Network"
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    GPS is not 3G.
    3G is used by Weather, Maps, Mail, Safari, iTunes Store, YouTube, and anything that connects to the internet.
  5. Nikos_1

Nikos_1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For example Nokia N95 uses network in order to find POI in Nokia Maps application.But definately not for locating your position.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Niiro13

Niiro13 New Member

GPS...is useless without 3G...not because it needs it...heck no...but the only thing you can do is find your location. The reason being is because the maps are downloaded from the server as opposed to being stored on the iPhone. Therefore, while GPS works without 3G...you won't be able to do live tracking (unless TomTom comes out with maps bundled...or unless your area is so ownage that wi-fi hotspots are pretty much connected together and you can connect to all of them).

The only parts that use 3G would be internet (and I guess calling too...but that still works on EDGE).