iPhone 3G iPhone 3G survey data.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbeam, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This is crazy, they make people sign up for 3G data when you buy an iphone.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pJASLEVIg-lpE4AsJ11KxBQ

I would be really pissed if I was forced to sign up for 3G data when I bought a phone and they didn't even have 3G data most places other then major city's.

Is it me or does it look like AT&T has little to no 3G service most places? This is why I don’t use AT&T there cell service is almost as bad.

Most of the places they do have it the speeds are no better then edge. Some places edge is even better.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    True, but right now, you have LEET(1337) posts!
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ?????
  4. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    1337 means leet or elite in gamer speak.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Not anymore...

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. horaciog

horaciog New Member

Problems with cracked iPhone screens have been getting lots of press but a potentially more serious and widespread glitch has to do with the 3G model's ability to pull in a strong signal — which, after all, is a pretty basic requirement of any cell phone, especially one loaded down with as many features as the iPhone.

Apple released a firmware update for 3G, claiming it will clear up the problems but some analysts aren't so sure about that.

There's speculation among some Wall Street types that the reception problems are being caused by an antenna design flaw or an issue with the chipset and that a simple firmware upgrade won't be enough to get iPhone users the five bars they're hoping for.

Financial analysts get angina whenever there's an indication of hardware problems that could force a massive — and costly — recall.

Some users rushed to blame AT&T Wireless for the weak reception but cooler heads note that other portable devices in the same reception areas are working just fine, thanks — both cell phones and other Web-enabled devices that use the EDGE network.

Adding fuel to the fire are reports from Europe, where users are encountering similar problems in locales where the signal strength has never been a problem before.

Engineers quoted in the trade press are speculating that the antenna is the likely culprit. The iPhone 3G has no fewer than ten different antennas. That's a lot of antennas in a small place, and as any radiohead will tell you, having too many antennas in one place can cause interference and signal loss.

Of course, most consumers could care less what the problem is, they just want the thing to work. When it doesn't, customers can find themselves facing a stiff termination fee if they want to throw up their hands and walk away.

"Advertised twice as fast for half the price, but the twice as fast and the iPhone don't communicate," lamented Richard of Victorville, Calif. "AT&T is requiring customers who return their iPhones for this failure to pay a restocking fee; Apple Stores will replace the phones, but you are likely to end up with a replacement that has the same problem."

"Apple has refused to acknowledge the issue: AT&T's spokespersons deny any widespread problems; iPhone 3G users have to pay for 3G service that many (most) are not able to access due to the faulty iPhone," he said.

Likewise Mike of Waldwick, N.J. He bought an iPhone 3G on eBay but found he couldn't get a reliable signal.

"Tried to cancel this contract since I was within my 30 days. It took me 2 days with AT&T after convincing them that one of the phone was purchased off ebay instead of having them making me take the phone back to an Apple store," Mike told us.

"The iPhone is a nice item but as I found out it really isnt worth the headache," Mike concluded.
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I traded a 1st gen iphone for a 3G. I really hope its just a network problem. I use T-Mobile. No way am I going to sign up for a service they cant even supply.

If I find out I waited for months for an unlock just to find this phone is crap I'm going to be so pissed! I might punch someone.
  8. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

I have an iPhone 3G, and leave about 2 hours from ANY 3G coverage, I wish they would expand it, it's utter bullsh*t if you live outside a 3G zone.

When you're in it, it's pure bliss however.