iPhone 3G Iphone 3G service question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Killa-X, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Killa-X

Killa-X Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is there anyway to get the Iphone 3G with only a data plan? Or are you forced to get the phone plan with it. I'd rather have it for the data plan only...

If not, do you think they would ever make it an option to include only a data plan?
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

This kind of depends on where you are. Assuming the U.S. I believe AT+T is the only one that you can use the 3G with. Yes you can use the phone with other carriers but I believe AT+T is the only one you can use the actual 3G with (just referring to the data and not the phone itself).

With that; No AT+T does not have a data only plan for the iPhone. They (AT+T) like their money and they don't want you using any plan other than an iPhone plan with the phone; especially the 3G. My only thought to get around it would be a pay as you go plan. They use to offer an unlimited data plan but realized they were losing money. Now the best they offer is 100 Mb for $20 a month.
  3. Killa-X

Killa-X Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know right now it's unlimited data, 5000 night/weekend, and 450 anytime for $70 a hour... And last i asked AT&T data is unlimited as its always been..
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I was referring to just the pay as you go plans (prepay plan) and not a regular plan.
  5. Dragomer

Dragomer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Would this also be applicable to the original Iphone as well? I know you can still get the $20 a month data plan with the original Iphone. Does anyone know if you can just get the data plan with that phone?
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I had the data plan that you mentioned (unlimited for $20; regular plan not prepay) when I got my 3G.

The $20 plan works fine with the 3G but AT+T knows you are using their 3G network without the plan. I got numerous texts and emails about it and they told me to call them or be charged for using the 3G.

I called them and told them what I did. They said to quit using the 3G or they would charge me for using it. I said OK just add the 3G onto my plan but they wouldn't do so without giving me a two year contract. I'm sure I could have worked around it but I was fed up and switched carriers.