iPhone 3G[S] question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GurraSWE, Jul 14, 2009.

1. GurraSWE

GurraSWE New Member

I live in Sweden and i'm going to buy the new iPhone 3G. It will be released the 31st of july. Do you think that 3.1 will be released before that so i can't jailbreak it when it releases?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    There is no way of knowing for sure, but it is possible that 3.1 will be released, but the first shipment to Sweden might not have it pre-installed.
    Good Luck.
  3. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    it is possible to downgrade to 3.0 as well isn't it? which means you could jailbreak
  4. GurraSWE

GurraSWE New Member

No it isn't you need to capture some files to do that and that is only possible on 3.0
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you got 3.0 on your iPhone, but 3.01 is already released Apple might not sign the 3.0 iBoot files anymore you need for the jailbreak. This means that you can jailbreak, but if you have to restore for some reason in the future you cannot jailbreak anymore.

EDIT: Well, if the restore mode still works you might have a chance to save it. Not really sure.
  6. GurraSWE

GurraSWE New Member

I don't think the restore thing stil will work. but when 3.1 releases will the jailbreak be ready directly for those who have capured the files? don't they need to find a new exploit because apple will probably fix the current one?
  7. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you have the signed exploitable IBSS captured then your iPhone will accept this file as legit which you can then exploit and use to put anything on the iPhone you want. It does not matter if Apple fixes something in newer versions since you will always use this good old exploitable 3.0 IBSS to start the jb. This is why you capture this file now when Apple still signes it which will probably stop as soon as 3.01 is out. If 3.01 is out and you get your iPhone with 3.0 you still have an exploitable 3.0 IBSS on your iPhone which means that you can jailbreak. Problem is if you somehow mess up your iPhone so badly that you need a DFU restore you will have no signed copy of the exploitable 3.0 IBSS which your iPhone will accept to start the jb. You can only capture your 3.01 IBSS and store this away and hope that some vulnerability will be found in there.