iPhone 3G iPhone 3G Pay As You Go Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stmteam, Dec 19, 2008.

1. stmteam

stmteam Guest

Hi,

I previously had an iPod touch 2G, I paid £219 for anyone interested in the UK and pretty much loved it. It's much snappier than my friend's iPhone 2G or my other friend's iPod touch 1g. This is probably due to the slight increase of about 100 mhz. However, I finally managed to get a refund, despite owning a flawless item for 90 days lol. My plan is to buy the iPhone on Pay as You Go which starts at £340.

I'm worried about a couple of things and would like some reassurance. Battery Life, how does it hold up? Strangely enough my touch could handle a 30 hour beating of music but not really games or internet. Is this thing really made for using? Also, why does the Apple iPhone state 24 hours of audio, yet iPod touch states 36 if the iPhone does more video, internet and photo viewing than the iPod touch? Is it a different audio chip?

I'm also worried about pricing and features - £340 should I buy it for Christmas or can I expect it to come down? Additionally, will it receive an upgrade soon, I don't want to buy for an upgrade in Jan. I mean I don't want to sit on it forever but I'd be pissed if out comes a 4 MP cameras, 20 hours of 3g talk time. I think next update could be storage. Does that mean 32GB would become the price of the 16gb. That would suck.

Lastly, I'm worried a bit about gaming. The iPod touch 2G had a faster processor, and as it was marketed as a games machine I'm wondering. Are Apple either going to bung out a 3g after Christmas like I said, or are they going to not really use that extra 100 mhz, or maybe even just make iPod touch 2g exclusives. Does it make much difference to iPhone 3G and its performance? Will a Jailbreak make it slower?

Regarding Jailbreaks, I wish to jailbreak mine however I've read I should preserve a baseband. This would result in me downgrading the firmware (Just downloading the 2.1 IPSW and pressing Shift and Restore in iTunes?). Which is the best way to do it, PwnageTool it to create custom firmware, or QuickPwn it.

Additionally, is a jailbreak relatively safe, I mean QuickPWN seems cool but if I need to bring it in for warranty servicing, what if I can't format the drive, say the battery is shot.

Furthermore, would a pay as you go phone give me iPhone updates for free? I understand that due to accountancy issues iPod touch updates have cost nominal fees but this would surely apply to a pay as you go phone given the fact I am not paying any subscription. Unless of course - is it possible to buy contract iPhone - not commiting in store they say you activate in iTunes and just activating a Pay As You Go contract or unlocking it. What I don't get is with home activation, the contracts where the phone is free, can't you just walk out with it and never activate it lol.

Also, the application [PIRACY]us, claims that it installs IPA files but also syncs it back to iTunes. I thought iTunes threw a "Application not authorised for distribution" message at you because of a lack of DRM or signing by Apple on the product. So once you Jailbreak you can just drag apps like Cydia, Installer and bang there on with no complaints? Because [PIRACY]us claims that it installs IPA files but also syncs it back to iTunes. Sounds like I can store JB apps and official App Store programs in the same folder.

Sorry for the long winded post, but £340 - or maybe £390 for a 16 gb will be a lot of money to spend for a device that is no good. Especially, if the battery's crap, but Apple offer replacements right? I understand future handsets may not support the jailbreak due to a new processor resulting in the hardware exploit being patched.

I love the look of the iPhone 3g but is a case necessary? Maybe not a screen cover I hate the bubbles but maybe a carrying case. I already have a wallcharger from like 2005 on USB and am wondering does it come with a fitting for the universal iPod dock?

Thanks for letting me get these worries off,
    I await your replies.
  2. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Battery Life, how does it hold up?
    tis not amazing but its good enough, i charge mine every night and in the day i get a few hours music in, some 3g browsing, some wifi action and a little video playing, some days by 6ish i get the 20% warning but it holds out till i goto bed. every phone ive had the last few years have needed charging over night with a lot less use than the iphone 3g gets

I'm also worried about pricing and features - £340 should I buy it for Christmas or can I expect it to come down?
    the iphone 2g only came down as a promo to clear out them out for the 3g arrival but it didnt last till the launch it was only a month

Additionally, will it receive an upgrade soon, I don't want to buy for an upgrade in Jan.
    doubtful IF there is an upgrade it'd PROBABLY be in july but theres NO official word or rumours

Lastly, I'm worried a bit about gaming. The iPod touch 2G had a faster processor, and as it was marketed as a games machine I'm wondering. Are Apple either going to bung out a 3g after Christmas like I said, or are they going to not really use that extra 100 mhz, or maybe even just make iPod touch 2g exclusives. Does it make much difference to iPhone 3G and its performance? Will a Jailbreak make it slower?
    i dont notice any problems with gaming, and i dont think theres any iphone/ipot only games, the reason the ipot2 has a faster processor is cuz it came out months after the iphone 3g its slightly newer tech, i doubt they'll but in slight upgrades they save it for a new model.... more money see

Regarding Jailbreaks, I wish to jailbreak mine however I've read I should preserve a baseband. This would result in me downgrading the firmware (Just downloading the 2.1 IPSW and pressing Shift and Restore in iTunes?). Which is the best way to do it, PwnageTool it to create custom firmware, or QuickPwn it.
    i used windows but on mac ur supposed to build a custom ipsw of 2.2 with pwnage tool

Additionally, is a jailbreak relatively safe, I mean QuickPWN seems cool but if I need to bring it in for warranty servicing, what if I can't format the drive, say the battery is shot.
    its safe, but if you have a problem you need to just reinstall the original firmware from apple to remove the jb
    ?
    Furthermore, would a pay as you go phone give me iPhone updates for free
    yes there free updates!

What I don't get is with home activation, the contracts where the phone is free, can't you just walk out with it and never activate it you cant use the phone at all without activating it though PAYG you take the phone plug it in and its activated no hassle

Also, the application [PIRACY]us, claims that it installs IPA files but also syncs it back to iTunes. I thought iTunes threw a "Application not authorised for distribution" message at you because of a lack of DRM or signing by Apple on the product. So once you Jailbreak you can just drag apps like Cydia, Installer and bang there on with no complaints? Because [PIRACY]us claims that it installs IPA files but also syncs it back to iTunes. Sounds like I can store JB apps and official App Store programs in the same folder. no no no, its the same as always cydia/installer apps have nothing to do with itunes, in my experience apps i download from appstore on iphone dont get the IPA backed up in itunes. theres no drag/drop unless you use ssh

I love the look of the iPhone 3g but is a case necessary? Maybe not a screen cover I hate the bubbles but maybe a carrying case.

i put an invishield on to protect the whole thing, but i took it off the back its not scratching but the silver surround is scratching a little

I already have a wallcharger from like 2005 on USB and am wondering does it come with a fitting for the universal iPod dock? it comes with the usb cable and wall plug no universal dock adapter
    HTH

made me laugh every question was a one last thing lol
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    also you get free UNLIMITED internet access for a year on the iphone, have you ever used facebook chat while walking down the road lol its great
  3. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    you cant talk about [PIRACY]us here.
  4. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    what?
  5. stmteam

stmteam Guest

[PIRACY]us is not illegal, it merely allows the installation of IPA files.

Thanks for your advice, and regarding many questions, I think before I shell out it is necessary to ask them.
    Why chose white? Is it better?
    By the way, PwnageTool I noticed has a feature called Activate iPhone. I presume this gets rid of that horrible "Activate iTunes" message but it makes me wonder:

1) Is it possible to take a contract out asking to "activate at home" and just use the custom firmware to make it work.
    2) With the release of the new unlock Dec 31st I understand unlock is possible. If the iPhone comes with 2.2 can it be downgraded succesfully (baseband too) to 2.1 or 2.2 custom.
    3) Is this risky? Or can you definately do this. Because if thats the case then this is actually cheaper than the iPod touch. Activation changed a lot since iPhone 2g. In the UK, certain contract tarrifs allow the phone to be free - so what your saying is if ordered online (O2, or Apple) or in store, they'd let me walk out with an iPhone in my pocket and £0.00 in theirs?

Ok I will JB it whatever I get, but what is a root partition and all this stuff? I will install a lot of apps and I mean a lot, so what does my root size need to be? How come this is only necessary when you PwnageTool it or create your custom IPSW, and not when you QuickPWN it? Does QuickPWN use a predefined size or only one partition?

Thank you so far
  6. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

try not to mess around with the root partition. thats where the term "Bricking" appears. it does not take much to brick an iPhone when messing around in the root partition.
  7. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Why chose white? Is it better? no its not better its just a color!

1) Is it possible to take a contract out asking to "activate at home" and just use the custom firmware to make it work.
    im sure its just for unlocked iphones with different sims in ie orange or voda
    2) With the release of the new unlock Dec 31st I understand unlock is possible. If the iPhone comes with 2.2 can it be downgraded succesfully (baseband too) to 2.1 or 2.2 custom.
    dunno

3) Is this risky? Or can you definately do this. Because if thats the case then this is actually cheaper than the iPod touch. Activation changed a lot since iPhone 2g. In the UK, certain contract tarrifs allow the phone to be free - so what your saying is if ordered online (O2, or Apple) or in store, they'd let me walk out with an iPhone in my pocket and £0.00 in theirs?
    its subsidised meaning o2 pay the difference on the phone to make it free they recoup this through the contract fee's