iPhone 3G iPhone 3G opportunity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kukumber, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So...I have the opportunity to get an unlocked 3G from a friend - No please read on don't post "TAKE IT!!" yet

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm cheap and don't currently have the money to get a proper data plan, so I'm curious - do I need a SIM to use the phone merely as an iPod until I do?

Another friend of mine suggested that the iPhone is >permanently< online, thereby quickly draining prepaid cards and the like fast unless you put it into airplane mode (antenna off I guess?). Is that true?

So what I need to know is...do I have to have a SIM in there and if yes, will it cost me even if I only use WLAN for internet?

Thanks for any info you can provide me with

2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i believe that your friend is correct. The phone is always sending data back and forth. This does not matter for unlimited data users but would for a pre-payer. I am usure how it would effect you. You do have the option of turning of 3G, but it will simply revert to an EDGE network.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You can use it as an ipod touch by not putting in a sim card. You will not be charged for data as there is no sim card.

You can also use any sim card from any network and not be charged data by NOT signing up for data and if you want to be extra careful not to use data disable 3G in settings and disable edge with bossprefs or sbsettings.
  4. beebop

beebop New Member

As on most phones, the iPhone will (or should otherwise you have a valid lawsuit) have an option to turn off EDGE/3G networking ..

there will be a slider to turn off "search for EDGE/3G" somewhere in the settings.
  5. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it does have that but its called airplane mode which also turns of calling.
  6. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't need to make calls so if not putting in a SIM works, great!
    So depending on what the phone looks like, I might get it

If it's scratched or something I'll just get a 32 gig 2G..