iPhone 3G iPhone 3G jailbreaking risk. Baseband problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m26k9, Aug 19, 2009.

1. m26k9

m26k9 New Member

Hey guys,

Due to a very outrageous pricing from my provider I have decided to jailbreak my iPhone 3G to install APN settings app so that the phone will stop sending cellular data. I have been very happy jailbreaking my iPod Touch but I have always been a little reluctant on jailbreaking the iPhone.

WHat I wanted to ask about is the baseband problem. All posts say there is absolutely no chance of bricking the phone. But I remember there were stories about jailbreaking screwng up the baseband beyond repair. I mean you cannot solve it by a restore.

Does anybody if there still is a problem like that?
    Any info is greatly appreciated.
    In the meantime, I also like to ask whether "Redsnow" is the best option for the jailbreak.

Cheers.
  2. nicoand

nicoand New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Redsnow o yes the best for now
  3. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    there is always "risk" with these types of things...yes it is theoretically possible you could brick your phone. I have jailbroken two ipod touches, and 3 iphones with no issue EXCEPT for a first gen phone jailbroken with ziphone had issues with quickpwn and firmware 2.2.1.
  4. m26k9

m26k9 New Member

Thanks guys. I guess it is safe then.
  5. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I am not sure if I believe in truly "bricking" an iPhone, unless you physically smash it with a brick. I have taken an iPhone that was thought to be bricked, with the baseband flashed incorrectly/improperly, and IMEI erased, and restored the IMEI and baseband using Redsn0w, and iTunes. That day, I did hours of research looking for a solution to the infamous "error 23", only to hear "dude, it's bricked...sorry" and "I think it's bricked" Seeing as I restored that iPhone, I'd say you shouldn't worry too much

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. m26k9

m26k9 New Member

Thanks a lot sparkyy.
    Actually yesterday I found www.unlockit.co.nz and it changed my APN without having to jailbreak. So I'm pretty relived I could get what I was after without much trouble. But I think I will go ahead and jailbreak and stop being a wussy. Cheers guys.