iPhone 3G iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3GS Worth the Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d00m42, Jun 21, 2009.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I currently have an iPhone 3G (16 GB black), and was considering a 3GS upgrade (32 GB black).

Before this even becomes a possibility, I have to call AT&T tomorrow to inform them of the fact that they lied (well both them and the guy who actually assisted me with my purchase at the Apple store back last June), telling me that when I moved and became part of a new family plan so my brother and sister could get phones that my original iPhone contract wouldn't be renewed for required "locked-in" time. Instead, my original contract starting July 22nd would still be active, continuing the required 2 year period etc. As it stands, because my mom, brother, and sister got new phones, I have the same upgrade time as them: April 2010. If they refuse to fix this I will probably have a problem, but above all will definitely not upgrade... No way I'm shelling out $500 for a few new features. $300 is a little more reasonable (especially because I can sell my old 3G for a decent amount once ultrasn0w comes out and I unlock it).

Anyways, I was curious if those who took the plunge found that it was worth it. The main reason is of course the better hardware which allows for much better loading times and more advanced functions. When the jailbreak comes, this would mean amazingly fast function on some emulators (zottd made a remark about this), as well as other apps. Even though 3 MP isn't that great, the autofocus and video are a nice plus. The voice control is also something that I've wanted on the iPhone. The compass app isn't really super important but it's a nice bonus (although the map orientation is really useful). Finally, the fact that I can finally fit my entire music library and a few videos/podcasts along with more photos on 32 GB is very important. With 16 GB, currently, I only have the room to fit most of my music, and a few apps and maybe 30 photos.

Any opinions?
  2. hotcereal

hotcereal Banned

I have both, and prefer my 3GS over it anyday.
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Do it if you have the money and feel the need too?
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    definitely if you can afford it.
  5. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, I just sold my 3G to only have to pay $75AU to get the 3GS. It all depends if you can sell the 3G or not.
  6. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    How much is the 3GS do you know? I haven't seen nor heard of any price mentions yet

Please Register or Log in to view images

And do you know what will happen to the 3G after Friday?

Thanks.
  7. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I am yet to buy it, work and other commitments means I probably won't get it for a while.
  8. thedahomino

thedahomino Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    how much is the 3gs without a contract?
  9. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's not really worth it. It's anice upgrade but it barely adds anything new hence the same design and similar name. If you really need a camer or better performance than go ahead. Just remeber that if you wait till next year, you'll actually get a big upgrade rather than a minor one.
  10. d00m42

d00m42 Member

That's the thing.. I was wondering if it would be worth it to wait a whole year for the next one, but idk a year is kind of long. In terms of the money, yea, $300 is fine, but I would definitely try to sell my 3G unlocked (when ultrasn0w comes out) to make that $300 go down a nice amount.

@thedahomino, Without a contract, it's $700 for the 32 GB lol (and $600 for the 16 GB I believe).