iPhone 3g Internet

Discussion in 'WWDC 2008 discussions' started by xLucky7, Jun 14, 2008.

1. xLucky7

xLucky7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Uh im new here and im thinking about getting a iPod Touch or 3G iPhone soon. I just wanted to know if u need to pay to use the internet on the iPhone 3G or is it free like iPod Touch? Thankz in advance
  2. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You have to pay for 3G, but it has wifi, so that's free.
    I don't understand your question much.
  3. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

To use the 3G network on at&t you need to pay i think 20 dollars more a month and you obviously dont for wifi since that is not affiliated with andy carrier
  4. xLucky7

xLucky7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I mean to use Safari (web browser) on iPhone does it cost money?

Like on my current phone if i were to use internet it would cost money, but does it do that on the iPhone or is it free like the iPod Touch and PSP?
  5. ElectricMan5

ElectricMan5 New Member

You have to pay for edge if you get a plan, I believe. Otherwise, you can use Wifi from routers for free.
  6. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Think of it this way:

You are asking about 2 different ways to get on the internet:

Wifi: This is free. You can only use Wifi if you are near a wireless router. (Wifi is what the ipod touch and the PSP use)
    3G: You have to pay for this. 3G is through the provider's network.
  7. halo456456

halo456456 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you are near a wifi router you can get wifi, but only around the router. And thats free, but 3g and edge arent. 3g and edge you can use any where where you have signal. WIfi= small area; 3g/edge= large area. Also its, i think, 30 dollars a month if you get the data plan.
  8. xLucky7

xLucky7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thanks for explaining it. BTW whats 3G and EDGE? Is it like faster internet?
  9. ipod touch rocks

ipod touch rocks Banned

they are two forms of Internet provided by at&t. Edge is slower than 3g. Which explains the hype for the new iPhone.
  10. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPhone's internet can be connected in two different ways. The first method is by using Wi-Fi, which if you're near a wireless router, such as your router in your house if you have one, and this is free. The second method, which is provided by AT&T if you live in the US, is the 3G network. This means that anywhere you are in United States that AT&T covers on their 3G network, you'll be able to access an internet connection.

Incorporated into your monthly plan with AT&T, you'll pay a $30 data fee/per month, which allows you to use this 3G network to browse the web, if you're located in a 3G network area. AT&T covers almost everywhere in the US with their 3G network, so you should be fine.