iOS 4.0 iPhone 3G home screen background question

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Conya, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Conya

Conya Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I'm fully aware you can change your home screen (springboard, whatever you'd like to call it) background on iPhone 3GS without a jailbreak, and you can do it for iPhone 3G with one, you can also get the multitasking feature. I know they can be done by editing a .plist file, and each feature (home screen background and multitasking) can be done on their own if you want (eg. if i just wanted a home screen background but i didn't want multitasking, i could do that if i really wanted)

my question is, because the iphone 3g only has 128mb of RAM (please correct me if i'm wrong), does changing the .plist to only get a user-changeable homescreen background take up much ram? i don't see how it'd take up too much ram because there's already a full black background for it anyway, so that can't take up much less ram than a custom picture would.

i don't want to slow down my device too much, but i'd really like a different background for my homescreen.

so it'd be great if someone could let me know how much RAM it takes up in comparison to just have a black background on the homescreen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Pickaxe

Pickaxe New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple's method of changing backgrounds doesn't just change the background, it adds shadow effects to the labels under the icons. This is processor-intensive. I imagine once we get the option to hide the labels it should be fine.
  3. loop4444

loop4444 Member

Feb 7, 2009

However,im on 3g right now with multitasking and wall enabled.
    Yeah,its a bit more laggy,but nothing to serious really.

What really suprised me is that the performance is the same even if i have few apps backgrounded (safari,mail,sms,ipod...) and also the same if my multitasking dock is clear.

I noticed that phone OS automaticly shuts down the most older app you used that was in "frozen" state when you launch the new one that needs extra memory.

So,if i can live with it with multi and walls enabled you should be fine with just wall.