iPhone 3G Iphone 3g Home Button Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfs8932, Jan 26, 2009.

1. nfs8932

nfs8932 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    My home button is not working on my iphone, the reason being i have just recently replaced my backing with a metallic red one and accidentally messed up the ribbon cable that connects to the home button. I have found many places where i can buy a replacement cable but while opening up my phone and looking i dont see how i can replace it. does anyone have a good tutorial on how to get to the home button cable on the iphone 3g any one that i have seen doesnt show how to replace it.
    THANKS!
  2. Gix1k

Gix1k New Member

I wanna say you're screwed.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Notice the picture on the bottom, the part on the right side is where the connection is made. It just pulls out and slides back in. Its really tight so it might take a little tug to get it out and a little force to get the new one in.

wholesale-iphone-3g-home-button-flex-cable-1.jpg

I have only done it on my first gen. But it shouldn't be that different on the 3G.
  4. nfs8932

nfs8932 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    DSC08269.JPG

this is what it looks like the plastic is over there larger part of the cable hence why i cant seem to see how to get it out. is this the same as the gen 1 iphone?
  5. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

Digitizer replacement also requires removal of the "home button"

I am also having this issue, as the replacement digitizers do not come with the home button. So if you want to replace your digitizer then you must get the home button out some how.

I took my iPhone 3g apart last night to find that I couldn't get the button out, and not wanting to break anything left it alone until I could get clarification.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It's the same as the first gen it looks like from the picture. You need to remove the piece of plastic covering the clicker part in that picture. I can not remember how it comes off though. If I had it here I could probably do it and I'm not near my old phone to take it appart and have a look. Sorry.
  7. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

Thanks for the reply jimbeam.

I will try to get that piece off and post back what happens. Worst case I break it and need to order the whole assembly.
  8. nfs8932

nfs8932 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i have looked at it pretty close and it seems to me that the only way to get it off is to break the plastic off that is on top is it. and yes thanks for all the help
  9. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

Yes, that is what I'm seeing too. Is there someone else that can chime in to let us know where we are going wrong?
  10. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Have you tried You Tube? I started looking and found quite a few tutorials on iphone 3g disassembly but cant find any that show how to remove the home button