Iphone 3g Help needed

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by pmartin35, Oct 1, 2008.

1. pmartin35

pmartin35 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi, Guys, Dev-Team, etc.

I have been on vacation for three months now and haven't had much time to view the website. What my question is: If I buy an iPhone 3g off ebay [This iPhone obviously comes with no contract

Please Register or Log in to view images

] will it come activated? Or if not, can I activate it using WinPwn, Quickpwn etc. and then use an unlock tool to unlock it to my basic 25$ Rogers plan.

Kind of like the original 2g iPhone.
  2. cainy

cainy New Member

it can be activated and jailbroken, but it cant be unlocked yet, the dev team are still working on it
  3. pmartin35

pmartin35 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks, With what program to be exact?
  4. gabriel fogarty-phipps

gabriel fogarty-phipps New Member

re: what program?

im in the same situation with my 3G iphone.
    the problem is the 3G baseband that needs to be hacked. they have "top people working on it". but just like in raiders of the lost ark, it seems thats all dr. jones is allowed to know

ive been holding my breath for the over 2 weeks in anticipation of a breakthrough.

if you are on windows you can use the new quickpwn to jailbreak:
    http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/jailbreak-iphone-21-gui-version.html

if mac, use pwnage tool:
    http://wikee.iphwn.org/
    then go out and buy a pc

im hoping that winpwn 3.0 will be able to unlock the phone. ive been checking the release page daily @ http://www.winpwn.com/index.php/Main_Page but there is still no news!

in the mean time u can use this work around:
    set up call forwarding on your old sim card and redirect your calls to your iphone number. note: you will be charged every time u receive a call!

- however i got my iphone pre paid and it came with heaps of credit for the first month so im not fussed. after that i'll have to wait for the 3G unlock or fork out $80 to optus to open it up to other networks.

hope that answers your question.
    peace.
  5. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

I can recommend quickpwn, I helped a friend over webcam to pwn her 3G and it worked a treat in a matter of minutes she was done
  6. pmartin35

pmartin35 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think I will unlock it with turbo sim or a modchip like that? Therfore will I have an activated, jailbroke and unlocked iPhone 3g?
  7. gabriel fogarty-phipps

gabriel fogarty-phipps New Member

re: turbo sim

yeah, you could do that, and it should give u an unlocked phone. but from what i hear, turbo sim is highly unstable - plus it costs about $90 AU! for a more stable and long term solution (for roughly the same cost), continue reading:

im not sure what country your iphone is coming from on ebay (probs USA) but my understanding is that it will be locked to the network it was originally purchased on i.e. at&t. and there is no way around this... yet

i know that here in australia, phone carriers are required by law to allow the unlocking of handsets from the network they were purchased on so long as the plan is payed out. the cheapest way to do that here is on the 'optus' carrier this costs $80 to unlock if you purchased the handset pre paid.
    so a 16GB unlocked will cost $849 + $80 fully unlocked on any network in the world (thats aussie $ btw).
    so if you buy your iphone from an australian (or country with similar unlock laws) ebay seller then it may already be unlocked, with the fee included in the selling price.

i still have another week or so till i run out of my bonus sign up call forwarding credit. so im hoping that the baseband hack arrives before then or ill have to shell out $80 to those greed telecos to have my phone unlocked.

good luck martin,
    fight da powa!