iPhone 3G iPhone 3G FAQ (Outdated Info)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joe Rossignol, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    3G iPhone FAQ

• When was the 3G iPhone announced? The 3G iPhone was announced on June 9th, 2008 at approximately 11:30am PST, during WWDC 2008, in San Francisco, California.
    • Is the 3G iPhone available for purchase? The 3G iPhone is available for purchase in 22 countries around the world, and 60 countries by the end of the year.
    • How much is the 3G iPhone? The 8GB model of the 3G iPhone costs $199 (£100) and the 16GB model costs $299 (£149). The 3G iPhone is available at the same cost, or less, all around the world. Prices vary, depending on your plan. Subsidized and unsubsidized prices vary.
    • Where can I purchase a 3G iPhone in the US? You can purchase a 3G iPhone at one of over 1800 AT&T stores across the United States, or your local Apple Retail Store.
    • How many colors is the 3G iPhone available in? The 3G iPhone is available in two colors; black and white. The 8GB model is available in the color black while the 16GB model is available in both black and white.
    • Where is the 3G iPhone available? The 3G iPhone is available in 22 countries, and 60 countries by the end of this year.
    • What are the features of the 3G iPhone? The 3G iPhone supports 3G networking, enterprise support and third party application support. 3G networking support surpasses EDGE. The 3G iPhone also supports GPS.
    • How fast is the 3G networking? The 3G network is 2.8X faster than EDGE. These tests were conducted by visiting the same website on both iPhone models.
    • Does the purchase of the 3G iPhone require a plan with AT&T? Yes, in the US, purchasing a 3G iPhone requires that you have a minimum 2-year contract with AT&T.
    • Does the 3G iPhone support the App Store? Yes, the 3G iPhone supports the App Store, which enables you to have official third party applications on the iPhone, such as Facebook, eBay, Super Monkey Ball or Tap Tap Revenge.
    • How much does the App Store cost? The App Store is included as part of the Firmware 2.0 update. Firmware 2.0 is preloaded on 3G iPhones, available as a free update for the iPhone, and $9.99 for the iPod touch.
    • Does the 3G iPhone run on Firmware 2.0? Yes.
    • What is the new GPS feature? With the addition of the 3G iPhone, we see GPS-like tracking. Sadly, there's no voice to guide you, although it will provide you visually with the same effectiveness.
    • How do you purchase third-party applications? Third party applications will be purchased through the App Store, which is found in iTunes 7.7. You can use an iTunes Gift Card to purchase applications from the App Store or you can use another method of payment, as long as you have an iTunes Store account. Applications range anywhere from free to $999.99, as long as the applications end in a denomination of 99 cents (such as $4.99 or $6.99). Developers have the option to set the application price, and they receive 70% of all sales made on that particular application. Apple receives the additional 30% profit remaining.
    • I have another cell phone, will I be able to keep my phone number when upgrading? Yes, you will be able to keep your phone number when you upgrade to the 3G iPhone.
    • Can I sync my old iPhone's data to my 3G iPhone? Yes, iTunes will prompt you asking if you want to use your old data from your previous iPhone.
    iPhone Specs/Info Comparison

To view full size, right click and select 'View Image'

Please Register or Log in to view images

Which Countries 3G iPhone is available in:

1. USA
    2. Canada (English & French)
    3. Australia
    4. United Kingdom
    5. Austria
    6. Belgium (French & Dutch)
    7. Denmark
    8. Finland
    9. France
    10. Germany
    11. Hong Kong
    12. Ireland
    13. Italy
    14. Japan
    15. Mexico
    16. Netherlands
    17. New Zealand
    18. Norway
    19. Portugal
    20. Spain
    21. Sweden
    22. Switzerland (French & German)
    3G iPhone Advertisement

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads/hallway/

Other Information

• When compared to other 3G phones, the 3G iPhone is 36% faster.
    • Flush headphone jack; use any kind of headphones.
    • Much better audio quality.
    • 300 hours of battery life on standby.
    • 24 hours of battery life for music; 7 hours of battery life for video.
    • Microsoft Exchange is supported on the 3G iPhone.
    • Pay-as-you-go SIM cards are supported in the UK.
    AT&T Contracts

2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Nice.
    Stuck.
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I knew you would do this. Nice one
  4. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

2.0 firmware for ipod touch is 19.95 just checked apple
  5. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

wait? Why did I quote blakes post :/
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Your Wrong.
    Check again.
  7. cryptsucks

cryptsucks Banned

8. jjbloo

jjbloo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    really i just checked and it was 9.99
  9. x6blues

x6blues New Member

I don't see anything about GPS, so you may want to add it.

Great Guide overall

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, with AT&T being the "exclusive" carrier to the iPhone, this may be of interest lol.
    Source
  10. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In the little chart thing, it says iphone wont have the app store.... only the 3g one will.