iPhone 3g, data block + battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demonshade, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Demonshade

Demonshade New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hello, my dad recently lost his phone so we bought an iPhone from our neighbors. My dad doesnt have a data plan so they charge us insane amounts. We called the phone company and they put a data block on his account. Now his iPhone is an ipod touch, with gps and phone capabilities just like he wanted in the first place, only problem is that the iPhones battery drains within a few hours for some reason. He leaves it to charge over night, when he gets to work its already almost dead. My theory is that the iPhone attempts to connect to the internet for updates and data, and when it is unable it attempts to reconnect over and over again in the background using a huge amount of his battery life. Is there any way to make the iphone not request updates, etc and just run as a normal phone?
  2. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    sounds to me like the battery is just bad. make sure push is off, and wifi, bluetooth, etc. does he have an edge symbol? or any data connection?
  3. Demonshade

Demonshade New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The battery is fine, my dad had it for a month already, we would turn off everything and edge would turn on, problem is my dad doesnt have edge on his plan either so they charged us loads of money. So we had to call the service provider and tell them to block all data, so now when his phone has everything off, the edge symbol appears, but no data can be recieved. So im thinking the the daemons which handle back ground downloading keep attemptign to reconnect and thus draining the battery. Before we got the data block it worked fine, after, battery drainage to the max.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Is the phone jailbroken?

If so try turning EDGE off through SBSettings and see if that helps.