iPhone 2G Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walden2091, Sep 9, 2009.

1. walden2091

walden2091 New Member

Currently, I have an iPhone 3GS and the $30 data plan, and my parents just have regular phones and no data (because they don't need it). Today, I bought my dad an iPhone 2G 8GB for $130 (with phone, case, charger, dock, cable, and headphones -- sweet deal!). Anyway, I have some questions about him being able to use his new iPhone.

1. Will disabling "Edge" through SBSettings ensure, 100%, that my father will not be able to use data no matter what? So no surprise charges?

2. Can AT&T find out my father is using an iPhone instead of his old LG phone and MAKE him use the data plan? (Note I will disable data)

3. I plan on jailbreaking, and because unlocking is very easy with redsn0w and iPhone 2G, I plan on unlocking too (even though he will continue to use AT&T). Will unlocking have any adverse effects on the iPhone 2G? (because I can remove it I think, considering we are on AT&T).

4. Since the iPhone 2G isn't the phone my dad is supposed to be using, and because he doesn't have data, will he see any dropped calls or anything like that? Without data and the iPhone being the official phone, will he suffer from any problems on the iPhone? (The reason I ask is because my friend, who is using a 3G instead of his "real" Sony Ericcson phone", does not have data, and claims to be getting calls not going through or calls not being received. I want to know if this is true).

Lastly, I want to know if there is anything I should worry about, but I think I covered it with my questions.

Thank you very much guys, I just want to be thorough so I don't encounter any problems or "surprise" charges. Thanks a lot and please answer ALL of the questions!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Anyone..? Also, I have an update. I unlocked it and everything, and when I check the AT&T website, they saw my dad's phone as the iPhone instead of the LG phone he used to have. I *think* I have successfully disabled data by turning off Edge in SBSettings, but why does AT&T still see my dad's phone as the iPhone?? How do they know? Is this a problem? ie. Will they force him to get data?

I have changed it back to the LG phone, but I dont know if it will go back to the iPhone later on..

Also, why does AT&T say I am using an iPhone 3G when I am using a 3GS..? Does this make a difference?
  2. daoriginalgangsta

daoriginalgangsta New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    1. I read somewhere that disabling EDGE from sbsettings/bossprefs will prevent data from being transmitted. However, you should definitely check the data usage right on the iPhone periodically.

2. AT&T cannot force one to pay for an iPhone data plan.

3. I doubt unlocking will cause problems. If you are unlocking through ultrasn0w, you might get a few push problems. But im not entirely sure.

4. I have in fact had problems like this before. When I tried to use my iPhone without data, I could make all my calls. However, sometimes I would not receive calls. This problem perplexed me for quite some time. It was weird because my Sony Ericsson w760a would always receive calls.When I did get a data plan, I have been receiving calls 100%.

I hope i answered all your questions.
  3. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    In theory Yes. But go one step further. Put the sim card back in your Dad's old phone, call at&t and ask them to block all data. Once this is done, put the sim card back into the iPhone. Now, regardless of the SBSettings, you will never incur a data charge.

Yes, at&t will know your Dad is using an iPhone via it's IMEI broadcasted number, and they can indeed add the data plan to your existing plan.

Not at all.

Not to my knowledge. And not to my experience. I have never suffered problems with my unlocked iPhone.

All cell phones broadcast an IMEI number. This tells at&t what phone you are using. So no matter how many times you change the phone on at&t's website, it will always revert to the iPhone as long as you are using it. And yes, at&t can force the data plan on you if they choose. Many folks have received text messages from at&t telling them that they need to fix their account by a certain date.

It most certainly will.
  4. walden2091

walden2091 New Member

Alright, thanks for all the responses. I have one last question..

I called AT&T and got the data block on the LG line, and I know that they will eventually find out he has an iPhone or whatever. But what is true - They will NOT force him to get data plan or there is a chance they will?

'Cause the customer rep said they (the computers at AT&T) *might* add a data plan to my dad's line even if I have disabled data.. So what is going to happen?

I want to just use the iPhone with the line but NOT data.. I thought this was possible but I'd like a clear answer. Thanks!
  5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    This is taken directly from at&t's site:

Please note:
    AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

I have not read anywhere yet that at&t have added a data plan to anyone's account yet after discovering an iPhone. Does not mean that at&t will do so, but according to their terms, they can place the data plan on your account. So yes, there is a chance they will just add the data plan.

I have been using my iPhone 2G for over a year now without at&t doing anything. Of course, I had data blocked on my old phone long before I switched to an iPhone. Just recently I bought a 3G iPhone and I still have not received any contact from at&t.