iPhone 2G or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Canuck, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Canuck

Canuck New Member

I've already got an iPod Touch, but I'm planning to sell it in order to buy an iPhone. Right now, I have the option of buying an iPhone 2G (1st Gen) 16GB for $450 or 3G 16GB for $525. Both iPhones are in-box, and the 2G model will be unlocked if I buy it. The 3G will be contract-free, but locked to the Fido network (at least for the time being). While the new 3G features are very nice, I'm not sure whether it's worth the extra $75 - and plus, the 2G model can be used with any plan on any of the very few GSM networks providers here in Canada.

So what do you think? Should I cough up the extra $75 for a 3G model, or just stick with the 1st gen model? I'd like to use data wherever I go frequently, but I still find $30 for 6GB a little too steep for me, so I can live without it. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  2. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    well when pwnage 2.0 comes out u can use the 3g with any network, it will be unlocked.
  3. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Okay, so unlocking a 3G iPhone will be possible, then. That means the only advantage to an iPhone 2G is the price. So is 3G, GPS, no recessed headphone jack and so on worth $75? What do you all think? I'm still not sure.
  4. chrischris292

chrischris292 New Member

i personally dont like the 3G physically since the backing makes ur hands extremely oily but it matters if you are going to use the data at all or not. If you arent there isnt really much of a point in getting the 3G iphone, from personal experiences on 10 different 3g iphones the GPS is not that great unless you have wifi, perfect cell signal, etc. which is not very likely on camping trips and other road trips. The GPS is not really a small dot its more of a circle opposed to the small dot in the WWDC demo of the AGPS. Overall the 3g iphone would really only be good for you if u are going to use the 3g data since the 3G is significantly faster but if ur just having it for phone and texting usage the 1 generation iphone is probobly the better choice