iPhone 2G full unit repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by P-Thunder., May 12, 2010.

1. P-Thunder.

P-Thunder. New Member

I currently have an iPhone 2G. Its in a pretty bad way. The screen has some pretty big scratches, the back has been dented and is VERY scatched. The whole unit is in a bad way. Theres also a thin grey line that runs length ways across the screen. This appears to be a problem with the display unit, not the glass.

So i rang the folks at apple, to see what it'd cost to get a screen repair. The guy said because its not just the glass, he said they'd bassically swap it for another unit. I'm just a bit puzzled, it'd cost me £140. What do i acctually get for that? Another iPhone 2G? I assumed they'd stopped making those and that they wouldn't have them in stock.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm in the UK by the way. Anyone done something simerlar?

Thanks guys.
  2. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    y not just buy a 3G??
  3. P-Thunder.

P-Thunder. New Member

3G's dont cost £140 to buy. My current phone is unlocked on orange. Its not on contract.
  4. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    what in the world is Orange???
    Yes they will just send u a Refurbished (like new) unit, thats what they do with all repairs sent in, thats why i seen some paperwork for sending in iPods that says "all media will be erased" because theyre sending you a different one
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Orange is a cellphone carrier. There are carriers outside of the United States, in case you didn't know..
  6. P-Thunder.

P-Thunder. New Member

Orange is a cell phone carrier. Like AT&T and TMobile etc..

So the chances are they'll send me a (like new) iPhone 2G? Hmm... for £140 that sounds interesting!
  7. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well actually if the 2G was still being made there would be a 50/50 chance you would get a new unit, but since that isnt the case they would send you a refurb unit thats the same as new just not in the original box
  8. P-Thunder.

P-Thunder. New Member

Oh thats pretty cool. I might go ahead with that!
  9. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I would think its worth it, how else could u get a new 2G, i do miss mine, but the sunken in headphone jack was a huge flaw!