iPhone 2G Baseband Question.

Discussion in 'WWDC 2009 (June 8-12)' started by leadergo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

I'm using an unlocked 2G iPhone currently with 2.2.1 and BB 04.05.04_G. One question though, I heard that the 3.0 Firmware relocks the iPhone 3G's baseband because it gets upgraded. But I also heard that the 2G's baseband does not upgrade with the new firmware. I did obtain the legal GM firmware of 3.0 for my devices, and they all upgraded successfully, but I havent tried the 2G iPhone because I'm afraid it will lock. Can someone confirm if it will relock after upgrading?
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    With previous FW updates to the 2G iphone it was possible to just click "update" in itunes and it would not relock the phone. Tested it with 2.0 and it worked. Its the "restore" that locked it. As long as the FW does not contain a new BB that area is not touched with an itunes "update" a restore did just that, restored everything including the BB.

Not sure about 3.0, but I think it should be fine as long as you upgrade and not restore. Worst case you just restore back to 2.x and unlock again.
  3. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

ah, thank you. I do know that the restore will affect the BB and relock it, but i wasnt sure about upgrading. Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------------------------

Well i just upgraded to 3.0 GM, and I'm now stuck at Slide for Emergency. The SIM is being read on the top-left of the phone like normal, and it does make emergency calls to Home, but I can't get past the Slider. If i have to, I'll downgrade to 2.2.1.