iPhone (1st & 2nd Gen) - Unlocking and Jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dodgy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPhone (1st & 2nd Gen) - Unlocking and Jailbreaking status.

Ok, because there are so many threads on what is unlockable and jailbreakable, let's make this the official one, hey.

iPhone 1st Generation

Jailbreak Status
    The 1st generation iPhone can be very easily jailbroken with Quickpwn.

The tutorial can be found here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92404&highlight=quickpwn+tutorial

Unlock Status

The 1st generation iPhone can also be very easily unlocked using Quickpwn.

Tutorial: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92404&highlight=quickpwn+tutorial

iPhone 2nd Generation (i.e iPhone 3G)

Jailbreak Status
    The iPhone 3G can be jailbroken using Quickpwn.

Tutorial: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92404&highlight=quickpwn+tutorial

Unlock Status
    Ok, the iPhone 3G unlock status is a bit tricky.
    The Dev team (as we speak) are working on a SOFTWARE unlock, I have heard they are very close and should have one very soon.
    If you would like to follow their progress here's the link to their blog:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Method of unlocking iPhone 3G
    Now, if you would like your iPhone 3G to be unlocked there are a couple of ways doing it (however, these methods are very similar).

You can buy the Turbo SIM or Universal SIM (I'm sure there a few others out there as well.)

What these 'sims' do is temporarily unlock your iPhone 3G i.e. if you were to take it out then your phone will be locked again.

- How they work:
    They are these little thin pieces of plastic that sit BETWEEN your SIM that you choose to use and your SIM tray. You push your SIM tray in and it will take a few minutes to recognize your SIM. Then everything works fine.

- My personal experience:
    I, myself, use one of these 'Turbo SIMs' and so far it has worked perfectly. I also have a friend that has had it for about 6 weeks now and he has had no problems whatsoever.
    The only negative thing I can say about it is they MAY be a little tricky to get in at first but you get used to it. Also, when you plug it into iTunes it comes up with the 'insert valid SIM card' screen. All I did was pull out my SIM tray, unplugged and plugged in again and it worked fine. This is my problem, I do not know if anyone else has had this problem.

- Where to buy:
    There are many sites which sell these, however personally I think they are too expensive and try to rip you off. I bought mine off eBay for $10 (very cheap). If you want to buy one I recommend you buying one off eBay (just make sure it's a trusted seller and they have good feedback)

Well, there you are. This is basically where we are with the whole iPhone situation. Hope this helped. Thanks.
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Nice, should be very helpful.
  3. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

really nice tut man..

this should be a sticky..
  4. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Hear that mods, sticky

Please Register or Log in to view images

lol

thanks guys
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

I have been using universal-sim for 3 months now works great! As far as iTunes spitting that error at you, Its because you phone probably is not activated. Im not sure if Quickpwn actually activates the phone the way pwnage tool does. I think its jailbreak only. So if the phone is not activated via itunes or pwnage it will give you and error. Solution you could try is building a custom FW with pwnage tool when it asks if you activate via iTunes check NO. Then restore to that FW. There is also a manual way to patch the activation but its kind of tricky.

Could just be the *sim your using to but probably not.

You should also mention these *sim solutions all use the same method to unlock and could be illegal in some places or render your phone completely useless. Getting your IMEI of the phone band permanently from your network.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    First thing I did was activate lol. Used my bro's o2 SIM card. doesn't really matter anyway, i just pull it out a tiny bit then when i'm done just push it back in...really isn't that much of a hassle for me.
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thats why you have to take the sim out to sync it. Itunes is looking for that o2 sim. Should have activated it via pwnage.

Its actually an easy fix. You just have to find a patched lockdown and replace the one on your phone. Just SSH in and replace it. I'm sure you can find the patched one on google.
  8. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I really don't care that much man, lol. Thanks for your help anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view images