iPhoDroid BANNED from iDroid forum!

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Kallen, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Over at idroidproject.org the whole iPhoDroid project has been locked and discussions banned. Possible viruses? wow...Here's what their Mod said:

What do you think?
  2. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh my god. This looked good aswell.
  3. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I hope there's just a misunderstanding or something. The whole concept was so cool. just launch the app and Android is installed. The next release was to include an automated NOR backup as well.
  4. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I don't care, I'm still gonna run it. I mean I can choose to load ios on boot so it doesn't bother me.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Look like they want to keep safe with Apple, as of viruses, if they say it's from reports, they could get viruses somewhere else.

So looks like main point is copyright.
  6. agentalexandre

agentalexandre New Member

We closed it for the main reason that sergio was obstructing five different licenses:

1. Our GPL for oib. Our work is opensource and any closed source modification is seen as violating the GPL. Simple solution? Release the source. We asked him an umpteen number of times to do so but he never did.

2. GPL for iDroid (see above)

3. Google Code EULA. sergio gets free hosting from Google to place the iPhoDroid files online with the agreement that all work published is opensource. No source = problems with Google. Since iPhoDroid was being accepted as part of the community, google would have likely lashed out at us. We don't want that.

3. Apple EULA. At one point Sergio was distributing the multitouch firmware files, a clear violation of Apple's EULA which states that under no cicumstances can Apple's firmware files be restributed.

4. Google Marketplace EULA, there was also a case where sergio distributed the marketplace files along with iPhoDroid. Not allowed either.

5. Marvell's license. sergio also started distributing the wifi files, which, if he had read the license correctly, would have been fine so long as he distributed the LICENSE file along with files - which he didn't.

May I suggest the utilisation of Bootlace instead? The process is so simple my grandmother could do it. The only downside to it is that openiboot must be installed manually (which if you can do you should seriously not even be using a computer) - this, however, is already being worked on by two very dedicated people and should be done very soon. Anyway you gain the ability to update, quickboot and change openiboot settings on the fly. Which I find, for something directly on the device, to be very useful.
  7. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

Good!

Bootlace is better and isn't violating the GPL.