IPA's?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kallen, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was just looking at the contents of my Recycle Bin before i purge it, and I noticed there are a bunch of .ipa files here. I looked, and all my apps are listed here. Why is that?? And no, before some idiot starts saying their "cracked" or something else equally stupid, no they aren't. All my apps are app stores downloads. But why is there a copy of ALL of them in my Recycle Bin?
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    They are either the old app files which an update has now been downloaded for OR applications you have deleted.
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The only thing I can think of is that they are old ones after newer ones replacing them after an update. Apart from that, I'm not sure.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Older versions of applications that have since been replaced with updated versions get trashed.
  5. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    youve already got an answer
  6. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for the answers. I thought that might be the case (updated apps) BUT, there are apps listed here that have not had updates and that I have not deleted. Apps I've had for months and apps I just downloaded in the last week. It's almost like these are backups, but there's no way they'd backup in the recycle directory. in fact, I emptied my recycle bin about 2 weeks ago. So all these IPA's have been placed there in the last 2 weeks.

When iTunes backs up the iPod, how does that work? Does it do a full backup each time or just incremental? If it does a full backup each time it connects, i guess that would explain it...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Doesn't putting the entire app in the recycle bin just make it easier to crack and spread the app? I don't know the process, but I know that if I wanted to do that I'd have trouble getting at the app on the iPod, but hey, now I can just navigate to the recycle folder and share it... Seems like a bad idea on Apples part.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You can navigate directly to your iTunes music folder and share it. It doesn't make it anymore difficult. If you were an app cracker, wouldn't you already be using the provided app cracking software that's on your device?

Thread closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.