iPad vs Samsung Galaxy Tab

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPod.Touch, Oct 30, 2010.

1. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

The successor: iPad. The competition: Galaxy Tab. Many differences but a lot, and I mean a lot, of similarities. Let’s start off outlining the differences in the Galaxy Tab.

Well, first the obvious, physical features. This black and white monster is only equipped with a 7 inch screen. It’s bigger than any other phone available, but some of the bigger phones, I’m talking 4.3 inches of euphoric screen bliss here, are only slightly smaller than this tablet. Moving on, it comes with an enthusiastic, yet I’m sad to say pretty poor, 5 megapixel camera on the back. Viewing the image on-screen reminds me of iChatr for the iPhone.

It basically looks like the image I’m looking at is a recording of another camera sent over very slow internet. It looks laggy and fuzzy. Not to say this is the worst camera I have ever set my young eyes on, but it certainly isn’t one of the best - even for a phone.

Screen Resolution of the device​

Now another interesting fact to point out here is its accommodation of a sim tray. This was one of the more ‘shocking’ extensions on this tablet. With a 7 inch screen to woo the crowd as you slide it out of your over-sized trouser pocket, can anyone truthfully say they’d pull this over-sized phone up to their ear? I wouldn’t, for sure. And then there is that screen. I don’t know how to hold this thing. Gripping it with one hand tires it, making me want to stretch it every 0.03 milliseconds, but holding it in two hands means they overlap at the back, causing for uncomfortable tapping and swiping.

It runs android 2.2 – an operating system created for a mobile phone and not designed for a tablet. Now, apart from the inside hardware specifications, it’s all pretty much equal to an iPad, or in a lot cases, second best.
    Now let’s take a look at the books application. Both iPad and the Galaxy Tab come with this handy time passer, and both are different. iPad’s ‘iBooks’ application is meant to read. It allows you to read books, buy books, and read PDFs. It’s simple stuff, but we like it simple. Galaxy Tab’s book reader is a little different. Not only can you open your imagination to the wonders books take you into, but your little device can also download the current days newspaper, and download popular magazines. You’ll probably have to pay, and I couldn’t get a look at the interface of the newspaper or magazine sections, as I was displayed with a ‘service unavailable’ message. That was a shame, as I think that’ll be very good, it prices are low and it is keeps on going.

Everyone hates people who copy, especially when it’s almost an exact copy, and this is where the Tab’s books application comes in handy. Take a look at the image below.

Notice anything similar? Wooden shelves and that little store button in the top left? This is what I mean when I said that “the rest is pretty much equal”. Galaxy Tab is riddled with deja vue of iPad applications. I hate that. And I especially hate how they’re selling it for much more, for things they copied.
    The final piece of the puzzle is price. The Tab is around £500(not sure about dollars), compared to only £429 for the iPad.

It’s all personal choice I think, but for an over-sized mobile phone? I’ll stick with an iPad, thanks.

Below are some pictures of Galaxy Tab screens. If you have an iPad, keep an eye out for the parts where Samsung looked at the code of iPad and said “Ooo. That looks nice! We’ll have that! [Copy...Paste]”

2. metaldood

metaldood New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    These comparisons are quite inane. Over sized phone? Back in January iPad was an over sized iPod touch. I guess you have not heard of Handsfree bluetooth for voice calling. Android has much more customization than others. Atleast this has better camera than an iPod touch . iPad has bigger screen and a great App store.

Not saying that either device is bad but both have their pros and cons.
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Good review on the Samsung Galaxy Tab. But one correction:
    -Samsung can't say "ooh! Look at that, we'll take that... [copy][paste]" because of the fact that they can't look at iPad code. It's closed source. Apple doesn't have the code available to anyone.

But good point, they did take some things from iOS. But it wasn't Samsung that took them, it was the 3rd party companies that made applications for Android that Samsung included with their release
    -Kobo is not owned or run by Samsung. They are their own independent bookstore. Apple took from another app in the App Store that had a similar interface. Everyone "steals" and makes things look similar. It isn't a bad thing, it makes technology easier to use.
    -The mobile music/media player also looks similar to something Nokia would make (big buttons on the screen for every function. Apple hides buttons until the user does a gesture/tap to show them).

But you do make some good points, they make things similar to the iPad because that is the benchmark. They want something that will sell, something similar to the iPad will sell because the iPad is selling. This is a great alternative, and the first iPad killer out there (IDK if it'll keep that name though).

Personal Note:
    -I'm not for or against the Galaxy Tab. But I do think that competition is essential for our economy to work.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Android is horrible for a tablet.
  5. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

HAHAHA it looks like the music app is an itunes logo....
  6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    LOL... It does. Didn't notice this. But the iTunes logo is starting to be used for everything now. Might be a reason why Apple changed it.
  7. ThePodofi

I dont understand the point of making a tablet that size.......Too small to be a cellphone, to big to be a tablet IMO.
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

The Samsung Galaxy Tab's 7 inch screen is too big to be a tablet? Or the iPad's 10 inch screen is too big to be a tablet? Actually, it just seems like you mixed them up

9. ThePodofi

Yeah thats what I meant...I was in a rush.
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Look at those ugly icons. They don't even match. That's why I love apple's UI.