iPad Video Out Cable

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gunzmaiet, Jan 28, 2010.

1. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Officially called the Apple iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter ($29), this custom Apple cable enables the iPad to be connected to a projector or monitor to display its screen content -- or in the future, separate content -- at 1024x768 resolution. When used with this cable, audio is performed solely through the iPad's speakers or headphone port.

More info here
  2. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ooh. Cool!

I think there should be a TV-Out also, and have something like TVOutTuner (from Cydia) built into the OS.

This will be very cool, though. VGA monitor + external keyboard!

I wonder if we can connect it to a touch screen monitor and use that as the screen. Otherwise, a little failish.

EDIT: And since it uses the iPod dock connector, the 3.2 update for iPhone+iPod touch (if it ever comes) might secretly include drivers for this, so we can have direct VGA output on out iPod touches and iPhones.
  3. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

well, there are some TVs that have VGA ports for TV out
  4. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

"audio is performed solely through the iPad's speakers or headphone port"

Is iLounge retarded? Where else would the audio play from?
  5. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

some might think that audio goes out the dock (which it can) through the VGA cable (which is impossible) so they added it to help those to help clarify for the n00bs
  6. pstuart

pstuart New Member

I picked up the vga cable for the ipad, was disappointed to find out that only video gets sent out over it. It doesn't replicate the OS at all.

Haven't purchased any iWork apps, so don't know if Keynote outputs over it, but it had better, how else are you going to do a presentation? Hand the darn thing around?

Still wondering how Apple showed off the device capturing the screen with a live iPad on stage? I'm guessing there will be some sort of second screen cable soon.

Wish they would have an hdmi out. Even though it wouldn't be 1080p at least it could output 720p and audio on same wire.
  7. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can buy an official VGA out connector for presentations.
  8. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I'm considering ordering one of these for live shows with my band. Playing video or Keynotes on a projector is always sick.
  9. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    that would be good for if you are in a diff country...
  10. curth

curth New Member

Projecting with the iPad and video cable

I hooked up my new iPad using the VGA cable for it and it did not produce any picture. Got a message on my iPad stating that this device was not supported. It was an inFocus LP120. Does anyone know of a list of projection devices that will or will not work? Also the iWork package for the iPad is far inferior to the iWork09 package since it converts from Keynote to Keynote for the iPad.