iPad software on new Archos 10.1 tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bootstrap Bill, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill Banned

The two are very similar and appear to have compatible CPU's.

Would it be possible for a third party to modify iOS so that it runs on the latest Archos 10.1 tablet?

There were products for the Atari ST and the Amiga that allowed them to run Mac software using genuine Mac ROMs. I had the Magic Sack cartridge for the Atari ST and it worked great.

Could we see something similar to these products for the Archos and other tablets?
  2. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    iOS is not open source.
  3. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill Banned

Neither is Mac OS, but there were products for the Atari ST and the Amiga that allowed you to legally run Mac OS on them. The only catch was you had to have a real Mac ROM. I bought my from a local Apple dealer.

Is the same possible with the iPad or other iOS devices?
  4. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hmm... I don't know much about this as I haven't ever run an OS on a device it wasn't meant for. I'm just pretty sure you won't be able to modify iOS to do what you want because it is closed source.
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Though the iPad's CPU is much faster... But from a technical standpoint, they only have similar CPU architecture. The rest is completely different.

Possible? Yes. Feasible? Nope. The Archos 101 and iPad are completely different if you don't count the CPU architecture.

Bottom line: won't happen.

Nope. Back in the days, writing device drivers wasn't so complicated as today, so porting was fairly easy. Nowadays, you're better off counting on the company that manufactured the chip to write the drivers.

It was only possible to run Mac OS (and to a certain extent, Mac OSX) on different hardwares because it's fairly easy to get drivers for them to work on other similar systems. The iPad and the Archos 101, as far as system hardwares are concerned, are completely different. The Archos 101 might be using a different touch controller, different WIFI controller, different system bus controller, or even different display controller for all we know. If I remember correctly, the Archos 101 uses a different GPU even. It's a different chipset. Not the same kind as the iPad.

So I'll just repeat what I said earlier: won't happen. Ever. It comes with what it has, and that's that.
  6. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Great post. Thanks.
  7. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely it would ever happen.
  8. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If it were to happen Apple would be on the lawsuits for distributing modified software.
    It would be illegal.
  9. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill Banned

Thanks!

Is there any possibility that we could see some true iPad clones - tablet computers that have nearly identical specs, except of course for the ROM's?

If you're old enough to remember the Atari ST, it was very similar to the original Mac, with some improvements. That's the reason the Magic Sack was so easy for David Small to design. A near perfect replica of the iPad might help here too.
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Problem is... we weren't as sue-happy back then. Copying was flattering in the days of the old Mac. Now if anyone tries to copy someone completely perfectly, the copier can be sued to oblivion.

That's why Android is not trying to copy any of the iOS features. It does copy, but does the copy in a way that it wouldn't even look or feel similar to the original.

Same thing with the iPad. But the difference here is that it's using a custom SoC, and worse yet, it's Apple's SoC, so there will never ever be a machine that is completely identical to the iPad unless Apple opens up its heart and licenses the A4 chip. We know how that'd be...