iPad Keyboard-Dock or Bluetooth Keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abcmsaj, May 15, 2010.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC184B/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTc3NzU1NjE (£56)

or

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC533B/A?mco=MTc3NzU1NTY (£55)

Only £1 difference. But here are the pros and cons:

Pro of the dock: you can dock the iPad. Have somewhere to store it and it would be held upright and be able to charge at the same time.

Cons of the dock: Apparently you can't even dock with a silicone SKIN on... it's that much of a tight fit. Also, it's "top heavy" so will fall backwards?

Pro of the keyboard: you can put the iPad in landscape while typing.

Cons of the keyboard: I'd need to buy the Apple case (or a case with the ability to angle the iPad) so that I could type in portrait or landscape - Otherwise, I'll have to type with it flat on my lap/a table. And... BATTERIES..

Anyone got experience?
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    You can charge it with the dock as well. And both could support iPhone and iPod Touchs.
  3. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    I would go with the dock, I use a sleeve so I never really have a case on it. It also charged it, you can play music etc too. It's a dock too so it holds it up, so I would get the dock.
  4. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I would say the keyboard, because it can be used with other bluetooth devices. The iPad dock is less versatile.
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I would say use it as is... It's not that hard to type really fast with the on-screen keyboard, and both keyboards in the other two cases will be extremely hard to use for normal use cases, and trust me, you don't want to use the iPad when it's docked. Horrible feeling... I would say use your Macbook Pro if you absolutely have to do it that way.

I have a regular keyboardless dock, and the bluetooth keyboard, and in my opinions... Again, well, it's just absolutely horrible when you use the iPad that way. You are better off learning how to type on the iPad, which, again, is not that big a deal. The only thing that might suffer is your back, so try to get a table and something with an angle to put the iPad on before you engage in long typing sessions. In my opinons, the space requirement will be much less than if you were using an external keyboard, and your package will be less cumbersome.

In case you wonder how it's horrible, well, imagine having to lean over every time you want to navigate to something else on the screen, or if you want to insert a picture, change the paragraph width, change the font, fix the sizes, etc... It's quite okay if you can pair an extra Magic Mouse with it but then again... Seriously, you might well just bring your Macbook Pro along if you have to use it that way. Or... you know, use your iMac.
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I was in same situation, had no idea what to get (wanted bluetooth keyboard and buy the seperate dock from apple)

I decided on the built in keyboard and dock, cheaper then buy normal stand + keyboard and you get all those handy extra keys to use with iPad (doubt ill use).

I'd say both are as good as each other,

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    i probably will end up going with the keyboard dock because it's cheaper and I don't need it to be portable. bahamutspirit pretty much says that the onscreen keyboard is usable, so I can use that "on the move" but when I want to get some decent work done, I could use the keyboard dock (or even my MacBook Pro, if I was really desperate!)
  8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    plus the keyboard dock gives it that all in one feel

Please Register or Log in to view images

, which is always nice ^^
  9. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    yeah.. and it looks like it's got decent support for the iPad and it's got audio output and everything.
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah, the dock would be cheaper than the wireless keyboard and another dock/case if you haven't had it already, and you plan on using a sleeve/case that is so thin it can fit barely with the iPad into that dock.

But sincerely, if you already have the dock (the keyboardless one) by any chance, then I would suggest that you go buy the wireless keyboard. But then you won't be able to use the wireless keyboard (not easily, anyway) when you try to connect a magic mouse, and seriously, that one is recommended if you plan on having very lengthy sessions with Pages.

Maybe I should post another topic about how to properly set up Pages so that it wouldn't be such a pain to use anymore... As it is right now, your biggest concern would be the limited font collection.