iPad Demand vs. Supply

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d00m42, May 9, 2010.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I guess that the demand for the iPad was greater than I anticipated, even though it has already been over a month after its release... I went to pick up at 16GB WiFi model today, and there were none (of any model) at the Apple Store, or at the nearby Best Buy. The guy at the Apple Store offered to order it and notify me when it arrived for pickup, but I opted to just order one online from Apple (free shipping) for the convenience. It says "ships in 5-7 business days", and that the expected delivery is anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks.

Sometimes I wonder why they don't ramp up production even more than they do now prior to releases for devices like these, when they have such a huge amount of hype beforehand. They know that the demand for their product will FAR outweigh the small supply they end up stocking, so why hold back? Regardless, I'm surprised that it's completely out of stock a month after its release. Hopefully they will have a greater supply on hand of the "iPhone 4.0" when it comes out in June/July...

Anyways, I'm really hoping that my iPad will ship with iPhone OS 3.2 (and not a new version that kills the Spirit jailbreak method). I like having my devices jailbroken, for the extra functionality, and the ability to use apps that were rejected from the App Store (some of which are quite useful, and/or fun).

10-14 more days to wait...

Also, would people recommend the SGP Anti-Fingerprint screen protector? I have the anti-glare screen protector (that the Apple Store sells) on my iPhone, and I really love it. I want something similar on my iPad, especially to reduce screen glare a little bit when reading.
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, even the cases are out. Had to get mine off craigslist, with a small premium, but still worth it.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It could be a smart business tactic as it increases the hype around the product which increases sales.
  4. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I mean economically, it doesn't make sense to provide a lower supply when a higher supply to match the higher demand would increase revenue and profit. Also, do you think this might be because of the fact that iPads are being bought overseas as of recently? (I mean the 5-7 business day shipping window/lack of store stock.)

I heard that the Apple case isn't very good... Personally, I've always been a fan of just an anti-glare screen protector to keep the screen finger print-free/scratch-free (I decided to get the SGP AF for iPad off of eBay, which saved me 5 bucks off of www.sgpstore.com, and having to wait for it to be back in stock). Unless I think the back of the iPad is really prone to scratches (like the back of my 3GS is), I don't really see the need to shell out a lot for a case.
  5. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Bad in what way? I personally like the case. It's small and compact, unlike the big bulky 3rd party ones.
  6. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I'm not sure, but I'll read some reviews and see.