iPad 2nd gen features

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Amateur, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Amateur

Amateur Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    As there is more and more competition for the iPad about to be released I was just curious as to what upgrades and changes people think the new iPad will have to compete with other devices.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Quiet group I'll start it off then
    I think they change it and make it widescreen
    I think they will at least give it the same ram as the iPhone 4
    Better resolution
    Two cameras VGA( front facing for face time) and a better back camera than the iPod touch 4th gen
    More memory
    Better battery life although it is already impressive
  2. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Not this thread again...
  3. Peebs

Peebs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Does it really matter?

Anyways, More RAM, more memory, retina, cameras, different design, like the iPhone 4... Cheaper?
  4. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Widescreen? Not likely. The reason it's 4:3 is so it doesn't look strange when used vertically. 4:3 works perfectly.

The extra RAM for the iPhone 4 is mainly as it's a phone as well, so it wasn't needed for the iPad. Possible, but again I doubt it.

Better resolution, again unlikely, the A4 wouldn't be able to handle graphically intensive apps at a resolution any higher than it already has.

A camera of some sort is highly likely, I tend to think a front facing camera for facetime. I doubt it'll have a rear camera, though. It's fairly pointless on a tablet.

Better battery life, possibly, but I doubt it. More than 10 hours seems fairly redundant.

IMO, the most significant change is likely to be a front facing camera. Without giving it a new processor (which I doubt they'll do, a faster version of the A4 perhaps but not a new one in the next generation) there's not much they can do to change it. They might change the outer casing shape (to match the styling on the iPhone 4), possibly even the overall size of it, but I don't see much else significant happening this refresh.

A price drop might also happen.
  5. vahnx

vahnx Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Link to another
  6. Peebs

Peebs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Your saying because it is a phone it needs more RAM than a tablet?

No.

The iPad definetely deserves more RAM as it runs larger applications and has a bigger potential for other applications and a more desktop-like OS.
  7. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    The new iPod Touch does fine on 256MB of RAM. That also has the retina display, meaning it has 960x640 pixels to render; not too many shy of the iPad's 1024x768 pixels. All in all, that means the iPad's apps aren't all that bigger (in terms of demands on the hardware) than the iPod Touch's apps.

Like I said, it's a possible addition but right now I just don't see it happening. The current applications are still limited more by the processor (and particularly the GPU in the graphically intensive games), not the 256MB of RAM.
  8. wirelesscat

wirelesscat New Member

Device:
    iPad
    well said mate
  9. Amateur

Amateur Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well when I started the thread the only suggestions that came u were limited so i made a new one. Also WTF why post if all your going to say is that I'm sick of people who can't just ignore a thread if they have seen one similiar.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Very thorough but would the change to widescreen really effect how it looks vertically that much because those black bars are extremely annoying.
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I think I already said this before...

The competition doesn't come until some unknown month in 2011, which means the iPad doesn't have anything to compare to until very late next year. A significant upgrade is not necessary since the device itself is already near perfect. It just has a few software nitpicks.

That said, the only two changes that are most likely would be going to 512MB of RAM and a front camera. A back camera is not very likely but possible if it's a hobby.

Unlikely to change: the shape of the device, the current processor speed, battery life, and last but not least, price.

The shape is self-explanatory. The processor speed is because it's the fastest iOS device on the market. You can see this when iOS 4.2 comes out. Battery life is as stated. Past 10 hours and it's already lasting longer than your phone. Unless you use the device every day without sleeping, eating and doing anything else, having a longer battery life is really overkill for a device that can do so much.

As for price, it's unlikely to change because Apple has already laid out the pricing tier in case you still cling to that tiny hope of a cheap iPad:

iPod Touch 8GB - $229.99
    iPod Touch 32GB - $299.99
    iPod Touch 64GB - $399.99
    iPad WIFI 16GB - $499.99

...and so on. See that? There's no room for an iPad to go below $499.99. The baseline iPad model will be the cheapest you can go.

And as for widescreen, yes, it would have a tremendous effect on portrait (vertically) mode, because it makes the device unnecessarily long to hold, and the black bars while watching videos in that mode is even more annoying. Holding the device in landscape (horizontally) must also be done using both hands as it's just too damn long.

If anything, I might even go so far as to say Apple could have been better off with a 1:1 aspect ratio that is perfectly square, because then it would make the tablet uniform in all directions and won't require a special landscape or portrait mode.

As for higher resolution screen, it's also a matter of price to be concerned about. Please note that a device comparable to the iPad (Samsung Galaxy Tab) has a price that is so high that it's insane, and they even had to cut down on screen price. The screen is the most expensive component on the iPad, likely, and so the resolution may not change for a long time, not for any reason but pricing concerns.