.ipa instead of .app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by jimbeam, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Why are jailbreak/native app developers still using .app format? Wouldn't it be better to use .ipa so we can have those apps stored in itunes?

Think about it. This way when you install an app with cydia you can delete it the same way you do a legit app and it will sync with iTunes! Then when you restore or update you just sync it all back. All we need is an app that will modify the mobilinstalation for us just so we don't have people passing around the patched installation and app's converted to .ipa

I think its time we switch standards.

We could even go as far as changing the locations where themes and ROMs are stored so itunes backs them up when we sync!
  2. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i think this is a good idea too, but i see two problems with it;

will installing via iTunes give the correct permissions? i.e. will you be able to modify root, etc...
    how hard is it to package an app into an ipa?

good things;
    super convienent, itunes will now backup data from the app
  3. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    actually thats a good idea, it shouldnt be too hard to do that
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    With .ipa the app can only work within itself, .app on the other hand can work from anywhere in the iPod. Its a big advantage
  5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hhmmmm????? Eureka!!!!
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Not true only app store app are sandboxed. You can even modify appstore apps to work outside of those limits mobilefinder for example.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    iTunes does not change anything with the app it looks to see if its the correct format and thats about it. Mobileinstalation is what stps things but we all know that can be changed.

I dont thing its that hard to convert them or even that much different then a ,app. Just google convert .app to ipa. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do it.
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The reason MobileFinder works outside of those limits is because the application was moved out of the /mobile folder, which took it out of the Sandbox. iTunes installs applications to /var/mobile because that provides the most storage space and it also, because of the firmware and the way things are set up with inherited permissions (IIRC) keeps it sandboxed as far as its access is concerned.

Installing via iTunes means that your file browser just lost all access to the rest of the file system, and that downloading program can only download to itself.

iTunes doesn't change things with the application, but will it set the application to use 755 permissions when it's installed, or will it just copy the file over as data? And you'd need to 'crack' certain files on iTunes to allow it to install non-signed applications, which presents other difficulties.

Besides, why mess with success? Cydia manages things fairly well as is, and it will update programs when updates appear on the file servers - with the ipa you're proposing, you'd have to manually keep track of version numbers and update things by yourself. At that point, why not just use Cydia - as otherwise you're just downloading file and basically installing the manually anyhow, as I don't see iTunes being able to 'update' non-App Store applications successfully, as it wouldn't have the instructions to uninstall the old app or just to overwrite all the files... or in the case of certain programs, know that it has to remove the old data files for the newly rewritten program to work.
  8. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    very, very, very good idea!!
  9. willryan42

willryan42 New Member

I'm sure it's a bit harder than just creating an .ipa and syncing it.

Also, I think everyone would need the mobileinstallation patch in order to sync.
  10. edru

edru New Member

not to mention no fast way of finding updates....