IP address changed suddenly!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pattyadams, Nov 3, 2007.

1. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

I have had my ipod for a month and have been using it without problems with winscp and connecting via my home wifi. Today winscp wouldn't connect and after several attempts I decided to check my ip address on my ipod and its different. I am not aware of any changes I made.....I'm using the same wifi router and service.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanx
  2. e-m00

e-m00 New Member

If your IP address is assigned to your computers by your router (via DHCP), your IP address is on "lease" from the DHCP server. That lease can last anywhere from an hour to a week. When the lease expires, your network card contacts the DHCP server, and if the same IP is still available, 99% of the time your lease will just be renewed for another whatever period of time. If that IP is not available, that is, another computer was added to the network while your touch was disconnected, and then you connected your touch to the network, its usual IP would be in use, and so it would receive a new one; then, that new one would be the one that it would re-request at the end of the lease.

In short: your router gave your touch a new IP either because it felt like it, or it was in use by another machine. It's nothing to worry about. It happens.
  3. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Thanx, I really hate not knowing why these things happen

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Parker618

Parker618 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S