iOS 4.0 iOS4 replace system font?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Mitsugaru, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mitsugaru

Mitsugaru New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My iPod touch 2nd gen (MB obviously) is JB on iOS4 and I've been trying to fix it up as much as possible back to its old state. One of the simple changes was SSHing to the font cache and replacing Helvetica (both regular and bold files) to use my old custom system font, which worked in 3.X.

I'm wondering if anyone is having a similar issue with changing system fonts on iOS4?
  2. w1ldm4n

w1ldm4n New Member

• Ads, referrals, or unapproved links
    Same here, the problem is, Apple put the system fonts (Helvetica and HelvitaceNeue) into a truetype container file (Helvetica.ttc) instead of the standalone fonts, I think so there are not separate files for Helvetica and HelveticaBold (but that is just a guess, it could just be to thwart us jailbreakers)

In any case, I found some more info and tools now over at [removed]]
    I hope this helps
  3. Mitsugaru

Mitsugaru New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    w1ldm4n, thank you so much for sharing that link. The tools worked great, if not finicky since it wasn't telling me where it saved the ttf files, but in the end it all worked out. Now I've got my system font set back to the good old NeoTech.

I didn't know of truetype collections until now, and apparently they have some merit in them, such as saving space. So while thwarting system modification is probably one reason, I don't think it would be the only reason for making the change.

Has anyone found out what the other ttf fonts are and where they're used? It would be interesting to modify them...
  4. thunderstruck7

thunderstruck7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'd like to know how to do this also. Is there anyway you could explain without posting an unapproved link?
  5. Mitsugaru

Mitsugaru New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thunderstruck7, from what the other forum explained, you need to download the Microsoft ttsdk tools. Although, apparently either they don't host it themselves anymore, or its just hidden somewhere. In either case, just Google for a mirror host and you'll find the tools.

You will need to only use two of the tools within the ttsdk, breakttc.exe and makettc.exe. You also need to have the original Helvetica.ttc file, which you can copy over from you device via ssh. Unless you already deleted it by accident, in which case w1ldm4n's link had someone who had saved both the two tools and original .tcc in a [PIRACY.mf] link...

And lastly, you obviously need the .ttf fonts that you want to use to replace the system font.

You need to drag the Helvetica.ttc file onto breakttc.exe, and it will extract all the .ttf files that it contains. Now, my problem was that it didn't extract in the same folder, so if you can't find the files, don't panic, it just extracted somewhere else. For me, I found that it extracted to the root of the user directory.

You'll find the fonts named "FONT00.ttf" to "FONT08.ttf". FONT00.ttf is to be replaced with the regular replacement font and FONT01.ttf is replaced by the bold replacement font. Example, my font was NeoTech, so I deleted FONT00 and FONT01, and renamed NeoTech and NeoTech-Bold ttf files respectively.

Now, move the files over to the same directory as makettc.exe and use it in a command line:

makettc.exe Helvectica.ttc FONT00.ttf FONT01.ttf ...

Have the command include all the fonts, in order. I'm not going to bother typing it all out. Executing that command will make a replacement Helvectica.ttc file in the same directory as makettc.exe. (Although, if there is already a file of the same name, I found that makettc.exe will rename the new file, so make sure to move the original .ttc file out of the same directory so as to not create any conflict)

Now that you have your replacement font, simply ssh it over and overwrite the original file on your device. Respring, and you should notice the difference.

I didn't have time yesterday to experiment, but sometime today I'm going to try and find out what the other fonts are used for, as far as I can.
  6. thunderstruck7

thunderstruck7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Major thanks for the detailed explanation. It's not quite as easy as FontSwap but it'll do.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Flash858

Flash858 New Member