iOS 7 Software Update for iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4 / iPad 2 / iPod touch 4th generation?

Discussion in 'General iOS discussions' started by Joe Rossignol, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Of course.
  2. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPad 2 will get it because of the iPad mini. Though I think we'll see the iPad mini cut 1 year faster than the regular amount of releases that idevices get because its 1 year behind.
  3. Hiroji

Hiroji Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    You guys saying iPad 2 will get all features of iOS 7 are WRONG. The iPad 2 can / maybe be left off because the A5 is powering a bigger screen. Just as the 256MB RAM in the iPad couldn't get iOS 6, while the iPod touch 4th gen with retina display COULD get 6.0, also the reason the 3GS got it, because the RAM 256Mb was powering a non-retina device. My prediction is that the iPad 2 will get either limited features or no 7.0, while the devices fully supported will be the iPad 3,4, mini, and iPod touch 5th gen, and iPhone 4,4S, and 5
    Joe Rossignol likes this.
  4. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I agree, though I think it's safe to say; No. It can barely run iOS 5 properly when there's an app with some GPU-features. And as for iOS 6 performance on it, I don't know. Depending on what Apple deliver with iOS 7, it's unlikely any devices below the A5 CPU will get it.

I remember my iPhone 4 was getting a bit laggy here and there with iOS 6.

My bet is that the Retina iPad 3 will be cut off by iOS 8. The "iPad 4" (aka, The New New iPad) absolutely kicks a*se! So fast...
    ValleyForge likes this.
  5. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

I highly doubt the iPad 2 will not get all the features of IOS 7. Its a device thats still selling and has plenty of power. If thats the case then all the iPad minis Apple has sold in the past couple moths are not going to see a full IOS update? Maybe if it ran android........oh whoops. I jest.
  6. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Well, I can admit that is true. Still, I don't think they'd take off the iPad 2. iPhone 4 will probably go iOS7 too...
  7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    As an owner of the iPod touch 4, I can't say that we will have iOS7. If they follow the pattern then iOS 6 is the final firmware for the iPod and it will be discontinued when the iPt6 comes out. I would not see see why they will continue making this.
  8. Hiroji

Hiroji Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Once again I repeat the iPad mini has the same CPU powering a smaller display, so like how the iPad mini got Siri? and the iPad 2 does not, if iOS 7 is processor heavy, iPad 2 will not see all features while the iPad mini and iPod touch 5th ten WILL. All due to the display and the power to power the display and the OS. Also the RAM required for the display and OS, iPad 2 has a larger display, and thus can be undercut if iOS 7 lags it, it would;t lag on the iPad mini or the new touch or 4S due to the way the display is smaller, and it as the same RAM
  9. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

uhhhhhhh ok??
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    RAM will be the limiting factor. I think that the A4 and above could technically run iOS 7 (just like the iPad 1 could technically run iOS 6), but with such constrained RAM it just isn't worth the lower user experience (again, like the iPad 1).

So look at RAM. Anything above 256 MB (so, 512 MB and up) will get it. That's my prediction.