iOS 4.0 iOS 4 with VMWare

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by AMurphy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi, I have VMWare Workstation and I am successfully running Mac OSX Snow Leopard on it. I managed to install itunes 9.2 beta on it. However when i try to restore to ios 4.0 GM on it verifies it with Apple and then when it goes to preparing iPod for restore it disconnects and reconnects a few times. This causes it to be disconnected from VMWare and then ends up being connected again, then the iPod is stuck at Preparing iPod for Restore. Can someone please help me! I know it can work , other people have done it.
    And yes, I am a developer
  2. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you should restore to 3.1.3 and stay on it. Just wait, You can only sync with that Mac OS X VM and you wont have all of your stuff on it.

It will be out soon enough.. You can hold out till then

Please Register or Log in to view images

I made the mistake of doing the same thing to my iPod touch(Thank god I used the Update ramdisk in the IPSW so I still have all my stuff on it) but now I can't sync with windows. And none of my content is on my hackint0sh.
  3. MarioKartMaster

MarioKartMaster New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I got this EXACT error for a long time, being stuck at "Preparing iPod for Restore". I am assuming the resulting error is 1611 or 1604.

The secret is to first have a fresh copy of your VM. It turns out a few corrupted iTunes files causes the restore to not complete and you will be in an endless restore loop.

If you made a "snapshot" of your VM when you set it up, just revert to that and it should restore perfectly. Also make sure you're in DFU mode if possible as it lessens the chance of error.

I must warn you though, that I have been unsuccessful at syncing music in VMware, even when I transferred my library.
  4. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know i wont be able to sync but i want to update for other reasons please dont tell me to wait , just tell me how to fix it
  5. psrespy

psrespy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That kept happening to me the bar on the iPod wouldn't move. I just restarted Mac OS X in VMWare and it installed fine.
  6. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks I am trying it now,
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    my iPod is in recovery mode (itunes connect screen) and now it is stuck at Preparing iPod for Restore after a clean restart and it is now longer at the apple logo with restore bar at 0
  7. andrew657

andrew657 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I fixed it on mine!!! Just redownloaded/ reinstalled iTunes 9.2B again on a fresh vmware osx and worked fine
  8. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you so much ! I am trying it now
  9. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    There is a similar thread. However, it's really difficult to restore in VMWARE.

Your host OS, most likely Windows will load the device first and the driver... Before VMWARE can grab it, iTunes won't be running what it thinks it is so it'll basically shut it down and call it quits.

Either way you can only sync with the VMWARE, so you should just wait for the public release.
  10. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've heard the same thing many times and i couldn't care less, I have nothing to lose.