iOS 4.0 iOS 4 EQ is different?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mikeac, Jun 28, 2010.

?

Does iOS4 mess up your equalizer?

1. Yes, and it is very noticeable.

61.1%
  2. Yes, but it isn't too noticeable.

5.6%
  3. Not at all.

33.3%
  1. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know if I'm hearing right, but iOS 4 has a horrible EQ when playing music. Anyone else notice something wrong about the EQ?
  2. MadasHell

MadasHell New Member

I postedt this in another thread about the EQ, but i'll also repost it here:

The problem with the new EQ presets is that Apple decided to tackle their iPod EQ distortion/clipping issues by completely changing how they implement an EQ; Instead of BOOSTING and REDUCING frequencies in specific areas, the new EQ presets ONLY REDUCES frequencies.

So for example in the older firmwares (and in iTunes), when you choose the "Treble Booster" preset, the upper-range, high frequency bands would be boosted, however the low and mid-range bands would remain at a netural/flat level. This obviously results in the upper bands being boosted, offering added clarity (or harshness).

However.....In iOS 4.0, when you choose the "Treble Booster" preset, the higher frequency bands ARE NOT boosted whatsoever, but rather the low and mid-range bands ARE reduced, as a way to make it seem as though the high frequency was boosted...but any person with a decent pair of ears will notice that the audio/song does not sound like the treble frequencies were boosted.

The above can be said for the other presets..For example Bass Boost in iOS 4.0, does not boost the lower-end frequencies, but instead drastically reduces the upper-range frequencies.

This is how many 'crappy' software audio players implement EQs.

This method practically eliminates EQ distortion/clipping, however IT DOES NOT boost any frequencies. I'm sorry, but an EQ that can only do -db steppings is a fake, useless POS of an EQ.

Hopefully Apple will go back to the old and "right" way of implementing an EQs in a future update..but knowing them that won't ever happen.
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, the EQ is better in iOS4.
    Your partly correct about the clipping.
    To fix that, they turn down the pre-amp which reduces ALL frequencies, and then they apply the EQ.

So for example, if you use treble boost, they don't turn down just the bass, but they turn down all of the frequencies and then boost the treble. Its the equivalent o doing this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

For people using the stock earphones or don't have an "audiophile" ear, they will think the new EQ sucks because they are used to the clipping and distortion. But for the people like me that have a good ear and a good set of earphones, the new EQ is much more natural and now I'm finally considering using it.
  4. MadasHell

MadasHell New Member

sdschramm, I have to disagree with your opinion. In my opinion, the preamp is not being adjusted whatsoever in any EQ.

Take a listen to one of your favourite songs using the "Treble Reducer" and/or "Bass Reducer" presets. There is no hint of preamp manipulation, just -db frequency reductions. But I guess that would be expected, since those EQs do not involve any +db frequency steppings that could cause clipping.

The important thing to remember here is that many people have noticed that the tonality of most of the EQs have changed. If the issue was about a drop in pre-amp people would not be complaining about "the EQ presets now sound horrible", but rather we would be posting about "the volume drops like hell when I use the EQ".

A drop in preamp volume would not cause the tonality of an EQ like 'Acoustic' to sound completely different than it does in pre-iOS4 firmwares.

I am 100% certain that in iOS 4.0 the EQ frequency steppings have been altered. There may very well be minor/negligible +db freq adjustments that remain in some of EQs (e.g in Treble Booster what was +6db 16kHz might now be +1db 16kHz), however they are obscured by the huge -db frequency drops in bands in the opposite end of the spectrum.

Here's my take on how the Treble Booster EQ frequency steppings in iOS 4 would look now due to Apple's new dumbarse EQ implementation logic:

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I usually have the R&B setting on (even though I hate R&B), and it boosted the beat in the background a lot better. Now, to get a good sound, I have to use Treble Reducer to get a barely good sound.