iOS 4.2 iOS 4.2 impressions on iPad...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by bahamutspirit, Sep 15, 2010.

1. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This is so ****ing smooth!

No, seriously, pardon the profanity, or condemn it if you will, but this is... more than just iPhone 4 smooth. The spotlight search page won't lag you anymore; it's a smooth transition. Epic Citadel is running at probably TWICE the frame rate it did before. Though it lagged occasionally (probably due to garbage collecting in the background). I'm viewing Engadget and NYTimes at the same time in Safari, while chatting to my friend on BeejiveIM, and listening to Pandora radio... while playing Tetris...

So there you go. First impression. I'll test out new features, do some benchmarks and try other games in a bit, but so far, this just simply blows me away. If you were thinking that the iPad is showing its all already, trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    SO that's why it took so long.
  3. Matt_Maggots

Matt_Maggots Banned

Can you by any chance try CoD: Zombies HD?
  4. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    SunSpider benchmark reported the same result as last time (around 10,000ms) so I guess Apple is just not hot on getting faster JavaScript.

On the other hand, all of the games I've tested are running much better. Asphalt 5, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, and NOVA. I don't have COD Zombies, so I can't try it, but I think it'll see some improvements, too!

Edit: EA games perform the same, no improvement there.

Edit 2: Safari can definitely hold a few pages now. I'm listening to Pandora and browsing 3 different websites at the same time. It's not unloading any.
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thank god haha, mines lagging all the time, mainly due to the fact it's got like 2gb/64gb left but this should improve it

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Danielcg

Danielcg Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    FIRST!....o...crap....
    anyway, lol, yay!
  7. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    More hands-on time now. Some third-party browsers can now stay in the background and switched to just as fast as Safari. Since I personally use iCabMobile much more than the others, I'll be focusing more on iCabMobile.

That said... iCabMobile is now able to hold an insane number of tabs at once. I have 7 tabs open, and I have browsed around in all of them a bit (3-4 links at least). All of them are different websites which include Engadget, the New York Times, Deviant Art, this site, TouchArcade, IGN, and Apple Developer board. Alongside them, I have Pandora playing music in the background, BeejiveIM is always connected in the background (I'M+ doesn't work yet, by the way), and I am switching in and out of Pocket Legends, which is now silky smooth (huge improvement for this game) without enabling pixel doubling.

So if I can play an online game (opt in/out of the game immediately without logging off), chat on IM, and listen to music at the same time while having a dozen of tabs in my browser, I suspect that you can expect even better if you're not gonna do anything like that.

Oh, and in case you ask, Safari still can't hold tabs, but at least now you can have more than 2 tabs held (3-4), depending on which websites you're visiting. I just use iCabMobile because... well, I can now.

So sincerely, if this thing has just 256MB of RAM, I'm not seeing the limitation...

Edit: forgot to mention: my colleagues are reporting that some games fail to boot. COD Zombies HD is among them. Perhaps it's due to the way they access memory or something... Hopefully we'll see an update one of these days.

Edit 2: oh, and opening multiple tabs definitely had an effect on website scrolling, as the integrated contents take much longer to render and sometimes, you can scroll to a completely empty space for a whole second. So generally, I stick to less than 5 tabs. 7 tabs is just to see how it performs.
  8. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Man, I just installed it.
    1. It's MUCH faster for games. Games like Modern Combat sucked on the iPad on 3.2, but on 4.2 it's almost as smooth as on my iPhone 4.
    2. FINALLY YouTube Like/Dislike, it also shows all people I'm subscribed to(before it showed a limited number of them).
    3. FINALLY it shows how many tabs are open in Safari
    4. Multitasking works nice, even for iPad only apps like BIA2 HD.
    5. This one I don't like, orientation lock switch is now mute(like the first time they announced the iPad).. You have to double tap home, and tap the orientation lock button(like on the iPhone)
    6. Folders look silly IMO, but they are certainly useful.

I just encountered a bug, I paused a youtube video, and it auto-locked(that's normal), but after 5 seconds the screen came on, BUT with just the little video in the corner and the rest black, it looks kinda funny I guess. I'll play with it some more, and maybe I won't downgrade.
  9. hovik818

hovik818 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    wow off topic much and im glad to hear that all the good thing of ios 4.2 is bringing but i am wondering when i buy my ipad lets say after the 4.2 release will my ipad be factory updated to 4.2 and if so should i buy it before 4.2 release due to jailbreakeable reasons.
  10. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    it doesn't really matter since all iPads come with 3.2.2 now, which is not jailbreakable. And 4.2 will most certainly be jailbreakable really fast