iOS 4.2, Airplay, and first gen Apple TV...

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by himynameisjuan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. himynameisjuan

himynameisjuan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Quick question,

I know the Airplay features are solely for the latest Apple TV (as of now, at least..) but since the first gen Apple TV can be used as an AirTunes speaker, wouldn't a 4.2 device be able to stream music to it?

I'd appreciate if anyone can verify this.

Cheers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    All the devices will be able to stream to the ATV
  3. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

Except for the original iPhone and iPod touch 1G.
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Really?

So I just loaded the gold master iOS 4.2 on my iPad and I am NOT seeing the Airplay icon at all, despite having an ATV Gen-1 on my network. Has anyone actually got this to work? From what I saw on Apples site the old ATV is not compatible with Airplay - even just for audio. I'm pretty bummed about this as Airport Express units work fine with it.
  5. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    They are there. Only for audio. Both ATV's show but only plays o ATV 2. Airtunes will play from iTunes to ATV1
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Where?

So you are saying you can see the Airplay button on your iPad, and when you click it you see your ATV version 1? Can you stream audio to it from your iPad? Please let me know exactly what steps you are doing, as I can't even see the Airplay button anywhere. Did you have to enable it somehow?

I REALLY want to stream Pandora from my iPad to my old ATV!
  7. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is no AIrplay button in Pandora right now. The audio is not working to ATV 1 from iDevices but will work from iTunes on computer with AirTunes. The audio does work to ATV 2 with apps that support it. I will show upload a pic in a sec.
  8. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The ATV showing in that pic is my ATV 2. ATV 1st gens don't show.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Got it

Thanks - that's what I expected but didn't understand your first message. Guess now I have to decide between buying a $20 used airport express or just buying a new ATV. I'd do that in a heartbeat except my system is all wired (locally and distributed) using Component Video and analog audio for my house speakers - ATV2 won't work with that :-(
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Pandora

I read you can stream Pandora over AirPlay if you start Airplay somewhere else first (ex Videos) and then switch to Pandora and play. Does that work for you?