Internet via USB on Unbroken Touch 1G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dutchrubber, Nov 14, 2008.

1. dutchrubber

dutchrubber New Member

I've searched a bit but not found a good answer. Is there a way to access the internet from a 1g Ipod Touch via the USB connection to a PC without a wireless connection?

In other words, I'd like to be able to plug in my iPod Touch via the sync cable and surf the internet on it while it's looked up to my PC.

I don't have wireless access at work and would like to use the touch to surf.
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No.

And even if you could and you're trying to get by a proxy, the proxy still would block sites.

Finally, if you really need an iPod like experience, use Safari and select iPod Touch as your user agent. This is under the develop menu (you need to turn it on in settings).
  3. dutchrubber

dutchrubber New Member

I didn't explain my point well...

Okay- first, I understand that I can't use it to escape a proxy. Or to disguise my surfing activities, since everything is logged anyway.

I'm most interested in doing this because I'm sick of people checking my monitor every time I switch from a code window to an internet one. I'd just like to check my MySpace or Facebook mail in peace. If i'm hunkered down staring at my music player, nobody will bat an eyelash. If I'm gazing askew at my Firefox window, which is pointed to a social networking site, it's a dramatic calamity.

So yeah. Even if it's impossible, I do have good reasons to do it.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Maybe if you went to the mobile facebook site on your computer it would be easier. If you go to facebook on your iPod, it'll look like that, different from the normal site.
  5. dutchrubber

dutchrubber New Member

6. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You have an iPod Touch not an iPhone YOU have no edge capabilities so buy a cheap router and move on.
  7. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Are you sure there's absolutely no wireless access around? Scan for a wi-fi network. You might just be close enough to a hotspot to pick it up.

If that's a no-go, are you positive that the computer you'd be using has no wireless card of any sort? If it DOES (even if there's no wi-fi network to connect it to), you can create an ad-hoc network and enable internet connection sharing over it. I do this with my notebook all the time (right now, in fact). If you're on a notebook that has wireless, you can turn an ad-hoc network on. It's cake on Vista.

If that also isn't an option, pick up a router and just hook it up to your computer. Easy enough if your company doesn't block program installs.
  8. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dude... browse on your computer..... no wifi. no ipod safari
  9. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

He explained his reasoning, which I think is perfectly legitimate. I wouldn't want people I work with seeing my personal browsing. I can completely understand why he wouldn't either.

I use it to get Cydia at home. I don't have a router set up (Mobile broadband), so I use ad-hoc when I want to check Cydia, or when I'm around the house and don't feel like going on my notebook. Browsing from bed with the Touch is a lot more comfortable than a notebook.

Please Register or Log in to view images