Internet tethering

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TempleClause, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TempleClause

TempleClause New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello everybody,

I was wondering if someone knows if it's possible to tether internet with an iPod Touch.
    And yes this makes sense because at our school no windows device as my laptop can connect to wifi but iPod touch can...

Cheers
    TempleClause
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    how's that possible? blocking out windows but leaving through any other device? how should the access points / therefore the wireless-routing system know which OS you use?
    all an AP sees is the MAC address and supported protocols like 802.11b/g from your device...there are no footprints of the OS used...hm...

what happens if you connect using a windows?
    and does it actually allow your ipod to surf on the internet or just connect?

greets
    zhizhi778
  3. TempleClause

TempleClause New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey there,

Well actually it's not that it blocks Windows I just wanted to simplify that because it doesn't matter because I can't connect with windows but can with iPod touch.

The IP range is to small for our school so I don't get an IP with windows. It seems to somehow prefer apple. And btw you can read out the manufactor out of the MAC adress allthough I don't know what bran wifi cards mac uses. Anyways every apple product has no problems connecting and surfing and the rest does. Our IT support just is to stupid to configure a bigger IP range, we've told them a thousand times.

Cheers
  4. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You could try creating a ad-hoc connection
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you can surf using the ipod THEN:
    open settings-wifi-tap on the arrow next to the network and note down the settings/addresses supplied by DHCP
    go to windows and manually enter all these settings (right click on your wifi connection and goto preferences -> TCP/IP v4) then it should work out.

but if you cannot surf the internet THEN:
    the problem is that windows will indicate that it can't get an IP address using DHCP and so shows a warning sign. but the ipod connects anyway and doesn't show this warning...though internet is not working!

(in the background both do the same...they assign themselves an IP in a private IP range meaning you won't have the right routing and dns settings)

but to the topic: internet tethering ipod->pc is not possible (you would need 2 wifi cards for that). only iphone can tether using wifi adhoc. you can try using bluetooth tethering or usb tethering...but for that search for "ipod touch as wifi card" or sth similar...there WILL be threads about this.
  6. TempleClause

TempleClause New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thx for the quick reply,

I actually tried that today hehe but it didn't work. I guess it reserves the ip for the MAC adress of the iPodTouch.
    I'll google the other thing, and that's actually what I want. Usb Cable to my computer.

Cheers
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    a small hint: disconnect ipod touch before otherwise there is an IP conflict and that of course won't work! usually it should work the manual way because a network can't detect either whether an IP is assigned by DHCP or not - at least the router cannot
  8. TempleClause

TempleClause New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    of course I did that

Please Register or Log in to view images

However I will try tunnel iphone suite tomorrow. cheers
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Use PDANet? Download the desktop client then download the iPhone client from Cydia.
  10. TempleClause

TempleClause New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I guess PDANet is for the other way round.

Cheers