Internet Connection not available.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by therock003, Apr 28, 2009.

1. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok so you search for wireless networks and you connect to them. You even input the WPA key if it is protected. Is there any other step?

Cause i've tried that with like 3-4 different networks, and when i load safari/appstore or whichever app requires internet access and i get the message that there's not an existing connection available.

What wrong with this picture?
  2. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Are you sure these wireless networks are connected to the internet?
    My high school uses wireless networks all over the place, but there are only a few wireless internet spots around campus.

Try making sure these connections work with a laptop or other wireless device and make sure they can get a connection/surf the web/etc. I was having issues connecting to my home WiFi earlier tonight with both my 1st Gen and my mom's 2nd Gen iPod Touch, but clicking "Forget this network" and re-inputting the WEP key solved my problem.

You can also try switching on and off your router. Sometimes my router needs a good reset every now and again, since it's on all day, everyday.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What's worng with this picture? You haven't given us enough detail about your device and other details of your connections for us to properly help you.

However, realistically, it should be as easy as selecting the WiFi hotspot and entering the password if required.

In lieu of you providing us with more details to better help you:

• Your firmware version may be the cause of the problem.
    • Try connecting to an unsecured network - if that works then you can put the security back on your router.
    • Pay-to-surf networks require you to go into Safari and 'log-in' after connecting.
  4. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, i have tried this to both my home and my office network, which are both tested to work with my laptop, as I connect to them every day, and i've also tried my cousins house, where i could connect with my laptop there as well.

All three of them networks have different routers, so its definitely not a router or a fw router issue.

Realistically of course it should be as easy as 1,2,3 steps, but since it's not happening that's the reason i ask "what's wrong with this picture"!
  5. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I hate to say it, but have you done the 3 R's?

Recharge, Reboot, Restore? Could be low batt, or maybe even an issue with the firmware.

It could also be a hardware issue with the iPod itself. Has it ever been able to connect to a WiFi hotspot, or is this just a recent problem?

If you can't connect anywhere, I'd make an appointment at the Genius bar, you might end up just getting a "new" (refurb'd) iPod.
  6. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No i havent tried before, so i dont know if it ever worked. Just tried for the first time when i had to set up my wireless networks.

If i restore that means i will lose all of my tracks right?
  7. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

if you backup your iPod before restoring, you'll still have everything.
  8. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not so. The term "backup" is deceiving, even the Genius I was talking to the other day admitted it was kind of sneaky, but it really only backs up your settings, not songs or videos. Lame.

But yes, a restore returns it back to how it was when you first got it. No music, videos, or anything. You'll have to re-input your network information, but maybe that will help solve your problem.

If not, I recommend you take it to a Genius bar at an Apple store near you and they'll gladly help you set it up

Please Register or Log in to view images

You can make a Genius appointment online, or go inside and they'll tell you how to make one.
  9. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I will be attempting the jailbreak, so restoring is inevitable, but i got 16GB of music, and it will be highly inconvenient to synch them back to the PC and after the restore synch them back in. I wish i could go about it in a different way.
  10. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've been there, and I agree, restoring sucks.
    Not sure if it's too late, but if I were you, I'd make a playlist of all the songs I currently have on my iPod, and then sync it back after I restored. Saves lots of guess work if you're like me and don't keep your entire library on your iPod.