Internet and Screen Resolution On PS3 Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Steaps, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Last thread on this, hopefully.
    Okay, 7.04 is installed and working. What i am looking to do with my PS3 is install Ubuntu on a 70GB partition, 10GB for PS3 itself and I can and know how to do this. I am looking to use it for downloading *******s, and movies. I would like to play HD movies if i can, as well as Standard Definition movies.

1. Can i use wireless internet? If not, can i use a bridge connection from my PC?
    2. How can i adjust my screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 1080p?

Additional Information.
    - I have wireless internet connected to my PS3 for online games, works fine.
    - I can make a bridge connection from Vista to PS3 via a Ethernet cord easily.
    - My screen resolution is currently at 1124x644 according to Ubuntu 7.04.
    - I have Ubuntu 8.10 downloaded and on a CD in case i need to install or should install that. 8.10 PS3/PowerPC

Thanks, Stephen.4.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I dont know the answers...but your only leaving 10GB for the PS3? after 2-3 game installs(most games now make you install sh*t onto the HD) it will be almost full.

I suggest you leave more.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The Graphics for the PS3 are locked by Sony. There are no drivers for it. So good luck getting the resolution you want. I THINK they have drivers for the Wireless Chip in the PS3, but you'll have to do some snooping. Find out what chip that the PS3 has and find drivers for it.
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It gives you the options of:
    All for PS3 System
    Allot 10GB for Other OS
    Allot 10GB for PS3 System.
    And all i have is GTA IV. I may be getting Little Big Planet, but not sure.

I believe the wireless was blocked in one of the latest firmware updates, why would they let you install another OS, but not let you really use it? Better than nothing. Tomorrow i will try 8.10 with a bridge connection from my PC.
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh you can still use the OS. For like, converting stuff or little things. I think you can still connect it via Ethernet. If they unlocked the Graphics, what do you think would happen? Hint: Emulators. As far as Wireless goes, its always been picky I guess. Hard to have good drivers for.
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I can easily create a bridge connection though. I will do whatever is easier, and the bridge connection is already set up. And yeah, i don't really need the graphics card, i have one of the new MacBook and a pretty good PC. Not gaming good, just good. That and the PS3 system... And Wii. Lmao. So anyways, i will install 8.10 Xubuntu tomorrow, we'll see if it detects the bridge connection.