Interfacing between a PC Driver and software on iTouch

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by jeremywilms, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jeremywilms

jeremywilms New Member

I can write a kernel-level driver to perform i\o operations on the USB device installed on my computer, but I am unsure of how I can write an applicaiton for the iTouch which will recieve and processes these messages.

Essentially, I need to get firmware I have written and installed on an MCU of some sort to communicate with software I have installed on the iTouch. Thus the software on the iTouch will need fairly direct control over the USB device(Or 'Dock Controller') in the iTouch OR I need it to be able to transmit messages through the USB device and then I can encode\decode the messages between the MCU and the iTouch.

I cannot simply communicate via a network connection as the MCU\PC has no access to a wifi device.

This IS possible using a special SDK offered to registered developers, however I am not and will not be accepted as a registered developer, I have already tried. Also, I do not have a Macintosh to develop software with and thus it needs to be done on a PC using unofficial SDKs.
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm not sure if this is suitable for you, but iTunes (or, to be exact, the AppleMobileDevice framework) connects to the usbmuxd socket (also put in place by Apple). It lets you open a TCP port on your iPod and talk to it that way. On your iPod app, you can just listen on your designated port (you can choose it) and do normal TCP communication using your favorite API.

Here's an open source library that lets you easily connect to usbmuxd on your computer and forward TCP messages onto your device.

Hope I helped

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. jeremywilms

jeremywilms New Member

Perfect! Thanks.