Interesting Tidbit About Aspen (iPhone Simulator)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Virtualball, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

I looked thru it and I found something very interesting. IT DOESN'T EMULATE ARM! It's using *what looks like* Universal versions of the iPhone apps! That's why it doesn't run the 2.0 apps in the folder. This would also explain why the Preference Bundles don't work when I drop the iPhone ones into the simulator's folders. I don't know if this is important to anyone, but I thought I should just tell you guys what I found

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Its not important to me. I have a PPC mac.

I'm stuck programming the old fashioned way:
    Pouring through Source Code, and Hex Editing Apple's apps looking for function calls, then searching through all sorts of headers for the function definition.

Sigh...

EDIT: That's not going to stop me from trying to distribute my apps through iTunes though.
  3. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    that sucks man... you're stuck not being able to develop anything through the SDK while im sitting here with a fresh install of Leopard on my $450 laptop with everything working as though it was a mac... if you're really interested in developing for cheap, i'd suggest picking up a Acer Aspire 3680. they're about $450 at best buy (at least they were when i bought mine) and its just about the only laptop you can buy that a vanilla install of OSX runs perfectly on. im easily able to access the SDK on here, though i have no clue how to code

btw, i noticed in your PocketTouch app (version 0.2b) that when you change the volume from 0% to 100%, it shows you the OS X volume changer

im not sure if you meant for it to do that or if its just a side effect of your code, but awesome.
  4. SkylarEC

Not to hikack this thread, but that was a side effect. I had to dig around and figure out how to to change the volume at a system level in order for it to effect a completely separate app (MobileMediaPlayer). And believe me, there is NO documentation on how to do that.
  5. 1337chaos

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    one question to the OP, how do you get into the iphone simulator? ive searched through all the folders in my SDK installation, but i cant find the simulator anywhere.
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Macintosh HD > Developer > Platforms > AspenSimulator.platform > Developer > Applications > Aspen Simulator

Or spotlight search Aspen Simulator.
  7. 1337chaos

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ah alright. awesomeness

i thought it looked everywhere for this thing, i guess i missed that folder thanks spoonforknife
  8. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Skyler, it's OK. No one can really program with the SDK. What no one understands is that it's not the same. Calls have changed and so have frameworks. Everything has been redone. You're better off doing it the way you are.
  9. SkylarEC

I know. While I like messing around with code, I am halfway discouraged to now that noneof it will work in three months...
  10. sushiboy

sushiboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    By having a PC with Intel Core Duo / Core2Duo processor will let you install Mac OS X in it, not the hackintosh one.