iPhone 4 Interesting test with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Korea, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I did a test on the iPhone 4. Test with the antenna issue, between my home phone and my iPhone 4.

1. When I put my hand on the left side of the phone the bars dropped to zero, I then called my home phone and failed to get my home phone to ring.

2. Next I called my home phone with my iPhone 4 first and kept the connection going. I put my hand on the left side of the phone to get the bars to drop to zero. The connection was clear and did not drop at any moment.

People are saying that the antenna loses all cell phone reception when someone's hand is on the phones antenna. Then why is it that I still have a good connection on the second part of my test?
  2. jackhawes

jackhawes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Maybe your hand wasn't fully covering it.
  3. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I made sure my hand was covering the antenna.
  4. kurt178

kurt178 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    try repeating the test...once can have far too many variables you wouldnt think of. but in a simple test like this there shouldn't be too many variables to account for
  5. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just did another three minute test. Connection was crisp throughout the entire time. When I ended the connection with my home phone it took some time for the iPhone 4 to realize that the call had ended. No lag time or anything.

From what I am finding, if you get a call and talk on the phone with your hand covering the iPhone 4, you should be fine.
  6. kurt178

kurt178 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i'm right handed and when i use some applications i think i would hold it in the death grip, well maybe not exactly...is there any issue? i never hold it so tightly as i see others in the vids

btw, some people such as leo laporte had issues with the iphone 4 dropping calls. not sure why you didnt though
  7. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I can confirm this.
    I'm left handed, but when I use the phone normally (by holding it in my left hand), causes the phone to drop to 1 bar. Even when using Apple's bumper.

However, when I'm in call, I can hold it in the death grip, and it never gets below 5 bars. I've even covered the entire phone with my hands from every angle, and it keeps the 5 bars perfectly. I've been talking on the phone for a combined total of about 4 hours, and I've never had it drop any calls.
  8. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I guess there are loop holes to this "death grip." I still have faith in Apple's update to fix this once and for all, I don't care what Gizmodo's website says.

Oh by the way, I tested one more thing. I grabbed my microfiber cloth that came with my Samsung LCD monitor and folded it. I then placed it neatly around the left side of my iPhone 4 with my hand covering the entire left side. I waited 10 minutes and no bars were lost. Obviously the Apple bumper isn't very effective, instead a thicker case like the Otterbox Defender case for iPhone 4 would solve the problem. I'm still waiting for Otterbox to release this case.
  9. kurt178

kurt178 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    as long as i still have reception than i'm ok with a weak signal. i hope the iphone 4 gets on over here quickly. thanks~
  10. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've got to admit, I'm somewhat peeved that I bought the case, and still have antenna issues. I'm not really keen on buying another case, until it can be proven that it solves the issue 100%. Either that, or I ring up Apple and demand something

Please Register or Log in to view images