Interesting problem... time to call Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jake5253, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jake5253

jake5253 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have an iPod Touch, 1st gen 32gig, running 3.0 jailbroken.

The first problem I encountered is the power/sleep button not responding.
    I would press the sleep button and it would not sleep, but the "Slide to turn off" thing came up. I did not hold the button down, but it's acting like I did.

The next problem is lengthy...
    When plugged into my computer, it works perfectly fine.
    As soon as I unplug it, it works (except sleep button).
    I use it in my car and I usually just pull the headphone plug out when I get out of the car to put it in my pocket, causing it to Pause. (I have tried pressing pause instead of just pulling the plug) Both causes it to lock up after it goes into sleep mode on its own. It then proceeds to restart, which it cannot do properly. I am stuck in an endless reboot sequence until I plug it into my computer again.
    I have reset, restores, recharged, cleared all data and settings. Nothing fixed any of the issues.
    I've read at least a thousand forum posts in the past week and none of them have helped at all.

Should I call Apple? The closest Apple store is Buffalo, NY.. which is at least 2 hours away.
    My iPod is approx 18 months old, so will they do anything at all for me or do I have a $500 paperweight?
  2. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    they will fix it for you, just make sure to restore stock 3.0 and throw on some music and apps to make it look real, bring it in, i dont know the price to fix it honestly, but also im on long island NY and theres an apple store in the city, unless u live up closer to buffalo anyway.. but back to your question it is definitley not a $500 paperweight, but it will cost some money to fix.. Maybe try a DFU restore before you give it to apple, if you havent tried DFU restore yet.. if it still doesnt work then bring it in.. and bring some cash lol
  3. jake5253

jake5253 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the reply. i think that's BS. They should guarantee their damn product, especially at that price. I'm broke at this point.
    I've done restore in every possible way, and it still doesn't work. I'm thinking I'll try a downgrade to 2.0 and see what happens. I didn't have any issues until 3.0
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If it's a power button issue, it's easy to fix. I opened up an original iPhone and fixed a jammed power button. There are guides on iFixit.com. Good luck.
  5. The Untouchable iPod

The Untouchable iPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well if your still under warrenty just restore and put a few songs on there so they dont know you jailbroke it then take it to then and showem these problems

EDIT: never mind just saw that is 18 months old
    they probally wont fix it for free
    i cracked the glass on the front of mine (just the glass everything else is just fine) 3 weeks after my warrenty went out and they wanted 200 bucks to fix the broken glass but if it had happend 3 weeks sooner then it would have been free.