Interesting Idea/Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by d00m42, Oct 6, 2008.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Would it be possible to play a sound when the iPhone boots? I assume all that's needed is a small application that could perhaps be installed by the Pwnage Tool that implements the speaker to play a short sound file in the .caf format, very much like the unlock, new email, sent email etc sounds.

I'm working on making the most realistic leopard theme possible, and having the OS X EFI boot sound when the ipod turns on would be insane : ) also, can you enable verbose mode anymore using term vt1000

UPDATE: So I learned that we don't have nvram access anymore and that means no verbose mode : (. On the positive side however, Chris Stroud is working on getting it to work, and so far he has been able to do it running a shell script but is having a problem with the fact that the file is executed before the audio APIs are loaded so no sound is heard.
  2. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

You'd probably have to edit sketch system files.
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

would be very hard
    but maybe possible
  4. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nvram access has been disabled in the firmware itself so, in a word, noes. I could possibly make something for you to have it play 3/4 of the way thru the boot cycle though. the Apple would still be there, but sound should play
  5. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

try it out
    if you want
  6. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, it all boils down to Erica Sadun lol. If I remember correctly, she has a utility to play audio files. If I can call that from bash shell and it play the Mac startup sound, which is what I assume you want, it should be cake. It has to work thru headphones though because I haz no speaker...
  7. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    during the boot process?
    probaly no.
    but right after yeah, probaly something like demoapp on 1.1.4
  8. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

try it out
    if you can

would be cool to see this
  9. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm actually almost done... gimme a few inutes to create the launch daemon.
  10. d00m42

d00m42 Member

That sounds about right, do you have that utility in your position? I'd be willing to help you test this, I have an iPhone 3G with speakers, and I know some programming and terminal commands although I couldn't do the major programming stuff, I'm too nooby in that area unfortunately.