Interesting Fact about iPad Shipping

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d00m42, May 16, 2010.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Something interesting that I just found (and thought I'd share) about why many of Apple's orders that come directly from manufacturers in China make a stop in Anchorage, Alaska before going to other places:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/why-your-ipad-comes-via-anchorage/6395

I'm sure the math is very interesting, and I'm trying to find out more.

I'm waiting for my own iPad to ship, and hopefully sometime tonight or tomorrow morning it will be flown from Hong Kong to Alaska, and then Alaska to a shipping center close to where I live in Florida, so I can get it by Tuesday or Wednesday.
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Makes sense. Anchorage is a major cargo hub. Would also be the reason why you'd probably see your cargo go through Memphis (FedEx) or Louisville (UPS).
  3. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Yeah, but it's interesting why exactly Anchorage is a major cargo hub. Supposedly it has to do with calculus and great circles (I mean the reason it's a strategic location).
  4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It's due to the curvature of the Earth, the shortest path between the States and most points in Asia will take you pretty far north over Canada, Alaska, and parts of Russia. Anchorage happens to sit right along this line.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Interesting diagram, makes it easier to visualize.
  6. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I think it is interesting that you would even need a map to see where Alaska was in relation to Asia... But yes, it is a convenient stopping point. I am amazed though that the cold doesn't seem to be a problem or anything with aircraft icing.
  7. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I think its cool that the iPad comes straight from the source. Not that I agree with Foxconn's working environment but still. FYI, they make more then just Apple stuff.