Intel i-Series Explanation?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by magic8ball88, Jul 7, 2010.

1. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Well the i series has been out for a while and I want to buy a new laptop soon. I've heard great things about this i series but I don't know why they're so great. I know that the i7 is the best out of them but the i5 in many cases has faster clock speeds. But both have lower clock speeds than some of the core duos. Could someone explain to me why they blow others out of the water?

Oh and one more thing how are they for hackintoshing?
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I know the i5 and i7 are green lights for Hackintoshing.
    You still must have different computer components that are compatible with OS X, though.
    The processor alone won't cut it.

I'm not completely sure.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the load the processor can handle.
  3. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Well I haven't bought anything yet. (I thought I saw somewhere that the i7 was hackintoshable) When I do get a new laptop I think it will be the Dell Studio 17 with the i7 and 8gb of ram (>

Please Register or Log in to view images

) I've been missing Linux and Windows 7 since the motherboard in my old laptop broke. Hackintoshablilty isn't a necessity since I already have a MacBook, but I sure would be nice.

The clock speed in the laptop I have my eye on is only 1.6 ghz but can have 2.8 in turbo mode? I haven't heard of this turbo mode at all before.
  4. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    turbo mode is hardware controlled overclocking, it speeds up for short spurts and then goes back to normal.

I believe that they perform better because the CPU structure is more efficient, then have more/larger cache, and they use a smaller die 32nm i think.
  5. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've seen most i5s are faster than i7s? Whats all that about?

i7 i5

I'm not considering either of those I just clicked on the first one on the page after I filtered the processors.
  6. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    So basically - the i3 is mostly dual cores, meant to replace the entry level line of processors. It's the successor to the Core 2 Duo line. There are 3(I think?) i5 architectures, Lynnfield (quad core) and Clarkdale and Arrandale (dual cores), meant to be mainstream consumption. The dual cores have hyperthreading and an integrated GPU. The i7 line is for enthusiasts, most chips being 4 cores and hyperthreaded, with the exception of the 980X, being six cores and hyperthreaded.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I've done a lot of research on this topic.

EDIT: Notebook processors are completely different from desktop processors. And clock speed (2.66Ghz, etc.) doesn't mean a thing. The i7 will almost always be faster than the i5, as it has hyperthreading.
  7. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Radish, I hate to say I didn't understand that very well (I'm not that smart haha) but thats okay. I've got the gist of it and you have reassured me. i7=good

My live chat with a Dell representative lol (I only did this because an annoying pop up while building)

They were very unprofessional (coming from a 16 year old)
  8. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Alrighty, in layman's terms, in the Core 2 series, data has to travel through a roadblock. But with the ix series, the roadblock has been removed, the roadblock being the memory controller. That's basically it.
  9. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thank you

. I was rushed reading it the first time around (dinner time) but after I took a second look it mostly made sense. Except for the GPU part. What is a GPU anyway?
  10. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Graphics pressing unit.

AKA a graphics card (kinda)