Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Installing Hackintosh on an EeePC 1005ha

Discussion in '[CLOSED] Off-topic Chat' started by Ryan, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Hey guys, ive been inactive for a few weeks now but i'm going to try post more over the next few weeks.

A few weeks ago was my birthday and I got an Eee Pc 1005ha. Instantly I wanted to see what I could do with it and after many hours of searching around on the internet I found a guide that showed how to install hackintosh onto it near perfectly.

However I found that some things wouldnt work or that it wasnt well presented so in this thread i hope to add another guide for the 1005ha onto the internet as i only found 2... so yeah this should be more user friendly with links for people anywhere to get help.

Please note that this guide will probably work on most new Eee Pc's based around the same processor (Intel Atom).

What you will need.

A copy of iDeneb 1.4 (first result of searching iDeneb_v1.4_OSx86_ISO in google)
    An 8GB USB Flash Drive
    OR
    An external USB DVD drive
    These kext files. http://www.[PIRACY.mu].com/?d=UGD3UKD9
    The iDeneb update files. (Google search)
    Another mac (vmware within windows will not work, it seems like the disk image gets corrupt when being restored through vmwares usb drivers, if necessary go to an apple store and use theirs, or a friends house)

Booting the leopard disk from USB

- Turn on your Mac and plug in the USB drive.
    - Open the disk utility application. Located in Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.app
    - Select your USB and click the partition tab.
    - Make 1 partition on the USB drive and make sure it is the Apple format and MBR.
    - Select your newly formatted USB from the left and go to the restore tab.
    - In the source option find your iDeneb ISO file.
    - In the destination option select your USB drive.
    (Please note that the ISO file must be copied onto the local hard drive and cant be on the USB drive)
    - Click restore and wait.

Download PC EFI V9

- Run the PC EFI installer and install it to your USB drive. (This makes it bootable)
    -Turn off your Mac (you can now throw it out the window)

Installing Leopard Onto your EeePC 1005ha

- Turn off the netbook
    - Plug the USB stick in
    - Turn on the computer and as you do press F2 until a BIOS loading screen comes up and then keep hitting the ESC button until you get an option to boot from either the local hard drive or the USB drive.
    - Select the USB drive.
    - Press F8 once the screen shows something loading
    - In the boot option type "-v" without the quotes.
    - Lots of white text should start to scroll and you will then be welcomed by the iDeneb install screen.

- At the top open Disk Utility and format the second partition of the hard drive (disk0s2) to "Mac OS Extended (journaled)".
    - Once this is done close Disk Utility and follow the prompts of the installer.
    - When it asks you to chose an installation destination chose the disk0s2 disk that you formatted before.
    - Continue and press customize (very important, install will fail otherwise)
    - From the options select these:

ICHx Fixed
    Firewire Remove
    GMA950 (found in /Video/Intel/)
    Kext helper
    OSx86Tools

Only select those.

Then start the installation.

Once the installation is complete it will reboot the system. As it loads, boot into the USB stick again by pressing F2 and then ESC like you did before.

We do this because OSX does not have a bootloader installed yet, whereas the USB stick does. This means that the hard drive does not know what to load (windows or OSX).

Once you have booted from the USB drive press f8 again and type in

rd=disk0s2 -v -f

and then press enter

This tells the bootloader on the USB drive to boot from the hard drive instead of booting from the root drive of the USB stick.

OSX should load and you will have to fill out the set up wizard.

Now we need to make it so that the hard drive boots on its own without the need of using the USB's bootloader and also so that it keeps our Windows XP partition bootable.

I suggest putting all my files onto another USB drive and then copying them over to your new install.

In my pack of files open the folder named "HHD Bootloader" Install Chameleon 2.0 to the disk0s2 drive.

Now copy the dsdt.aml file to /Extra/ (file created by "fassl")

Now remove any USB drives you have attached and reboot the mac.

Upon loading you should get the option to boot from either windows or OSX from the chameleon bootloader.

Boot into OSX and install the 10.5.7 iDeneb update

Reboot

Boot into OSX and install the 10.5.8 iDeneb update

Boot into OSX and open kext helper. Drag the VoodooHDA file from the "Sound Kexts" folder into the kext helper and type in your password. Then press Install.

Then copy VoodooHDA.prefPane into /System/Library/PreferencePanes/

and then reboot

You will now have working sound.

There is the original OSX wallpaper included in my download package which you can use to replace the iDeneb wallpaper by right clicking on the desktop and changing the background.

There are currently problems with the display kexts. On the guides that I have seen it tells you to install the kexts and change plists etc in order to enable quartz and get the correct resolution. However when ever I have installed them (7 times now) i have had to reinstall OSX because it causes booting to stop. Therefore you cant use programs that are graphicly heavy or require Quartz to run. For instance iWork does not work correctly, however Office for Mac does. This guide will result in a mac that works for most things, it will play music etc. however if you want a mac for things like video and photo editing do not expect it to work until someone makes a kext that works.

Final note, if you want internet access on your mac I am currently testing PDAnet. Using a tweaked (disabled hardware virtualisation in an xml file) VirtualBox (vmware and parallels do not work on this (needs quartz) i have windows xp running on the mac, i will then install itunes and pdanet desktop and then attach my iPhone and try and connect to the internet in XP. I will keep you posted.

Edit: Internet works through VirtualBox using both iPhone through PdaNet as a tether and also a USB wireless dongle.

I hope this guide helps anyone who needs it. PM me or post questions if you need help :)

Ryan
  2. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    zomg long post.

saw all the trouble u had with it on twitter lol.
    glad to see you got it working, maybe ill try. if i EVER buy a netbook.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's too bad that the internet doesn't work correctly on this netbook.

It's a great netbook. But it's not meant to be a MacBook, nevertheless. :(

Nice guide.
    ...But what about with the retail version of Leopard?
    I bought it for my desktop. :) (I have OSX on it, just wondering what you would do differently)
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Bubalooshi, i think you can use boot-132 for installing from a leopard disk. Although it wouldnt work as a hackintosh because you wouldnt have to patches to let it run on non apple hardware and none of the kexts to support it. Take a look here, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

Much easier to just download iDeneb or another distro.
  5. teekay

teekay Guest

i have a problem. ifter i install ideneb and restart. i boot it again form the usb, follow the instructions and then it stops by saying "Still waiting for root device"
    any ideas? i even tried to reinstall and used only one partition, without windows